Crook 15: Alone

/ Narrator's POV /

Flashback:

Liyah could only remember one time in her life, where her heartbeat seemed to chase the seconds. Where the palpitations seemed to be so harsh, so unworldly to the point where it felt as though the organ would beat right out of her chest. That was when she had been thrown into the system as a little girl, unsure of where she would go next and frightened that she would be harmed no matter which direction she was thrusted in.

Now, this was the second time Liyah has felt as such. Frightened, vulnerable. She hated this feeling. She had thought for so long that it would never return. That she could finally be happy and live apart from the world she used to know. But it seemed as though her life was in a negative domino effect. Everything going downhill. Event after event, person after person.

The thick grey blankets in which the paramedics had supplied her with sat heavily on her thin shoulders. The girl stared at the ground with tears in her eyes, body numb. There were an abundance of lights shining down upon her, all mixtures of red, yellow and blue. Liyah could only remember the grim tone of the officers as they alerted her of the accident that had killed her foster parents.

"Ms.Gwan?" And then came the other voices.

"Ms.Gwan are you alright? Can we get you some water?"

The concerned EMT placed a hand on Liyah's shoulder, pulling her from her mind which was beginning to drown her. The teenager gulped, looking up at the woman. She has pale white skin and warm blue eyes with stringy blond hair pulled back in a bun. She was talking, but Liyah wasn't listening.

"W-water?" Liyah said in a questioning tone. The EMT nodded, keeping her eyes on Liyah as she called for a cup of water.

"Ms.Gwan we need to talk to you about the situation but first we need to make sure you are alright. Do you feel anything at all? Are you hurt?"

What type of question was that? Although Liyah hadn't been in the car, she was hurt. She was ... broken. She might as well had been dead too. It wasn't a fun feeling. Walking, breathing - but what's walking and breathing when you aren't alive? When you don't feel alive?

An officer comes back with a cup of water. It is placed in Liyah's shaky palm by force. Liyah looks up as the tears slip from her eyes. Pass the officers, pass the EMT, she could see two stretchers with black covers laying on top of the bodies being loaded into a van.

"NOOO!" Liyah shouted. "NO WHERE ARE YOU TAKING THEM?!" She thrashed, trying to break past the wall of policemen but it was no use. They held her back, trying desperately to calm her down but it was no use. Her heart was being wheeled away and they were trying to keep her here?

"Liyah they're gone, listen to me. Please." The EMT tries to reason. But Liyah couldn't listen. She couldn't believe it. She didn't want to believe it.

They were gone...

Flashback over.

"A-and then you were so upset you didn't speak to me for a week." Liyah held her stomach, tears falling from her eyes as she laughed. Taehyung kissed his teeth from the other end of the booth, trying to hold in his laughter but it was no use seeing as a chuckle slips out.