Flowers

Meredith runs downstairs after a long day of cleaning and getting ready for her date. She can't seem to shake the nerves that continue to creep up on her. She can't recall feeling like this with anyone but Derek.

Cormac had said to wear a dress but she just couldn't find one she thought would be good enough for a first date. Most if not all of her dresses are too dressy -for weddings- or too business casual -for work meetings- and Cormac had seen those already. Definitely not appropriate for a first date.

So she settled on a black jumpsuit, with open-toed heels, a gold necklace that has a dainty 'M' pendant, and a cream colored sweater that hangs perfectly on her shoulders. She is worried it is too much, too showy, the way the V-neckline sits on her breasts is not quite ideal for a first date either. Aggravated and nearly out of options she decides to walk away and take a break from trying before Cormac gets here.

"Hi mama!" Ellis says as she runs by Meredith into the playroom. Meredith smile's watching her continue to run to then come to a complete stop almost falling on her face. "Woah! Slow down, you okay?" Meredith questions squatting down to Ellis' eye level. Ellis nods looking her mother up and down a few times. "Okay be careful." Meredith replies standing up to feel Ellis grab her hand. "Mama! Mama!" Meredith laughs looking back down at her almost identical daughter "yes baby?" She asks. "You look be-you-tiful" Ellis says very dramatically as she says 'beautiful'. Meredith can't help but smile at how adorable her kids are. "Thank you baby." She says kissing her forehead.

"Woah mom!" Meredith hears zola say. Meredith smiles looking up at the ceiling. All the uncertainty, question, and hesitation she healed in herself earlier slowly slips away. "Hi Zola!" Meredith greet's her daughter. "You look so pretty mom." Zola explains her eyes widening as she circles her mother the way earth circles the sun. "Thank you Zozo." Meredith says watching as her eldest daughter spin taking her in completely. She think's to herself the honesty children hold if they said she looks good she must.

"We heard someone say their mom looks-" Amelia walks in maggie following close behind "woah." They say simultaneously. Meredith chuckles. "You think it's too much? The neckline..." Meredith questions looking at them as they shake their heads.

"Well I mean yeah... if you want him to take it off at the end of the night, definitely." Amelia replies still looking directly at Meredith. Maggie hits her arm "No. No Meredith it's perfect. He'll love it." Maggie corrects Amelia. Meredith grabs the sides of her sweater pulling it in her hands as her arms cross right under the curve of her breasts. She nods taking her left hand to tuck a strand of misplaced hair behind her ear. "Does my hair look okay? I wasn't sure what to do-" she is cut off by her sisters chuckling. "Meredith, you look perfect." Maggie says. Amelia nods. "Yeah I mean if I was into girls... and you weren't my sister, I mean damn." Meredith chuckles as nerves grow under her skin again.

Meredith scratches at her neck quickly gripping the pendant of her necklace rolling between her fingers. She sigh's nodding to no one but herself.

_______________________________

Cormac has changed his outfit twelve different times. At this point he contemplates just calling to cancel the date. He shakes his head looking himself in the fogged bathroom mirror as he brushes his teeth in just dress pants and a cross necklace. A new addition to his wardrobe recentl, he isn't sure if he likes the look of the chain hanging on his neck yet or not. He thinks of the chain he often sees hanging on liam, the odd similarities of his cross and his sons. His head shakes again shaking himself out of his thoughts.

It's just a date.

It's just a necklace.

Open buttons or buttoned all the way?

What cologne?

Black or grey slacks?

It's Meredith Grey she's been on millions of dates what you wear isn't going to matter... she probably doesn't even like you.

His head spins with the small quiet voice screaming inside. He finally decides on grey slacks, a white shirt leaving three buttons at the base of his neck open, a black leather belt sits on his hips, the necklace he contemplated for hours continues to hang as he sprays cologne on himself. He sprays the air making sure it's the correct one before spraying himself. He gets hit with touches of wood, masculine flower, and a spice he can't quite place. He sighs pleased with his decision as he sprays himself now.

Cormac curses himself as he pulls up to a red light. He is quick to turn left making a mental note of the time frame he has. "Twenty minutes" he mumbles out loud. "Grocery store flowers? What are you Cormac?" He beats himself up for thinking poorly of this, of her. Normally he would get good flowers from a flower shop but not today... not today because he is a complete fool and forgot. He is quick inside the store deciding on pink, and blue peonies he mixes with white tulips. He gets back to the car mixing the bouquets perfectly, making sure the paper they are placed in is perfect and protective. Cormac places the flowers on the passengers seat gently holding his hand over them as he speeds to Meredith's house praying there aren't cops staked out on the back roads that lead the way.

AUTHORS NOTE:
What do you think happens next?
Didn't proofread