【Chapter Eleven: Never Did; Never Will】

When the city car that held me prisoner stopped, I expected the guards to move, or make some sort of notion that they were going to exit and I would follow, but no, they stayed silent and in place, staring at some far off point in the distance that I couldn’t see. So I attempted to get out again, only to be slammed back in place by their tight grips. One of the guards turned ice blue eyes y way and growled hoarsely, “Stay.” 

I glared right back at him, before facing his still silent companion. His eyes were a similar icy blue, and the image triggered something like an explosion of forgotten memories. 

“As you’ve been taught, each city rules through the same concept of Corruption+Corruption=Purity. What you don’t know is that they all have different opinions on it. Here in Levigation City, we have our Corruption in the form of Correctors and those in the High Court.” In my head, I replaced High with Corrupted. “We all also have our own styles and ways of training our soldiers. Have you ever noticed the fact that all of you have violet eyes? It’s because that is out mark. The mark of a Corrector. Other towns have tattoos or some sort of bodily form of expressing their origins, but the only other City that changes the eye colors of their soldiers, the Reapers, is Andalusite City. They have blue eyes, like the sky if you need any specifications. Their system is much like ours in that their reapers take care of all the killing, but unlike us, they have a ‘court’ held for those who have become corrupted.”

These men were Reapers, and that could only mean I was in Andalusite City. As the confusion of as to how I’d gotten here set in, I stared at my fingers, twisting them around until I noticed something on my wrists. Rope burn, ugly and red, marred my usually perfect skin, and when I attentively poked at the skin, ghost touches ran through my body. 

…Pain, abuse, hurt, rape, betrayal, burns, too much, stop, can’t control, can’t stop, please stop, Sion, Sion, Sion…

I blinked, and a single tear fell from my eye, moving down slowly like a snow flake would in a windless day. It was cold when I spied it away, but eliminating that one tear caused more to surface and the more I tried to wipe them away, the more that spilled. I couldn’t stop crying for reasons beyond my understanding. When, finally, I gave up on wiping them away, I became aware of the fact that the guards were watching me. Both of them had broken out of their stoic masks and showed a bit of pity at my tears. 

I didn’t need pity. 

So I sat in between the men, angered and annoyed, when the door to my right opened up and revealed a stick thin red head boy in a black suit, his green eyes squinting against the light. I narrowed my eyes at him, before looking to the two guards for the reactions: stoic as ever. I almost rolled my eyes, but stopped myself in the action and leaned over one of the guards, giving the boy a smile dripping of sugar coated venom. “Well hello there! Are you here to tell me I can leave?” I inquired, my voice a high pitched, cheery tone that had the boy wincing. 

“A-actually, yes. Malvira is awaiting you so-” he reached into the car to offer his hand but the guard nearest to him suddenly decided to act and gripped the boys arm in what I could only call a painful vise grip. “Wait, wait! I have official orders by Malvira to get the girl so c-can you please release my-” - a squeak left his lips - “-arm?” The stony guard stared him down for a second before, finally, moving out of the way so that I could get out. Relieved, I stretched my body out and then glanced at the street ahead of me and then the large spiraling building behind me. The Conclave. 

Again, I glanced at the street, now blocked out by the two guards burly bodies. They glared down at me, no doubt prepared for a race I wouldn’t be able to outrun them in, so I turned back to the spiral building and the red headed boy and walked forward, very aware of the fact that they followed only a few feet behind me.