【Chapter Thirteen: One Sheep, Two Sheep, Wolf】

The next day, I arrive to my lessons as usual, dressed in my exercise clothes and prepared for it all. Sion walked in while I was drinking a bottle of water, but he didn’t acknowledge me until he was at the center of the room. “Darcy, here’s a lesson they don’t teach you… because it’s too personal on both the teacher’s and the student’s accounts. That’s the reason why everyone here is an incomplete Corrector. I plan on making you a fully fledged Corrector, got that? Now, I want you to come at me with all you’ve got.” I raised an eyebrow, but did as asked and made a running start for him, reaching out for a weapon. “No weapons.” I snatched my hand back, reassessing my options for battle, but still ran forward. 

I feinted left and then did a quick uppercut to the right, which Sion reacted to with grace, doing what I’d call a Matrix move. Not like anyone in this day and time would know what the Matrix is, but I hung on to the things of my past, and movies were a big thing. They showed what used to be, what could’ve been, what should’ve been and all the things in between. 

When I saw Sion’s muscles flex, preparing to throw something at me, I fell back and pushed myself off the floor five feet away from him. He watched me with amber eyes that flashed with a new light, and when he advanced forward, I noticed that each of his moves were trying to capture me, to grab me or pull me down. I had to stay on the defensive for sure now. Of course, Sion saw the change in my stances and advanced with quicker paces and attacked with swifter moves. It wasn’t long before I was stuck at the wall, and I couldn’t do anything really. I’d already used up the idea of ducking under his legs and I knew he was expecting for me to do it again.

Mentally, I cursed just before throwing myself to the right, walking with my hands over the weapon rack and then launching myself into the air to catch onto one of the many punching bags. Sion did the same, and the two of us hung six feet above the ground, facing each other. Sion grinned, and I knew in that instant he had an idea that was bound to get me under his foot again. I cursed mentally once more and slid down the punching bag, landing on the balls of my feet. I took only three steps before he caught onto me, taking me by the shoulders and slamming me into a punching bag. I was prepared for maybe a punch or some sort of show that I’d lost but not what he did next.

Lips slammed against mine while his fingers dug into my shoulders, holding me in place. I gasped, shocked into stillness and he took advantage, deepening the kiss with his tongue and forcing me to respond. A whimper escaped my lips, as my body began to slowly melt against his, Sion’s lips coaxing me into his embrace. And finally I tried to fight back, struggling against his arms as realization that this was wrong pushed itself into my mind. “Sto-st-mmm!” 

It took me a while, but I managed to push him away and when I did all I could do was stare in shock at Sion, whose eyes glowed bright with the strangest of light. Lust, I realize. After that thought comes to mind, I retreat, unwilling to believe that this Sion before me was the same guy who’d been teaching me this past year, and just as I turned to exit he has the nerve to call out to me, “We still have lessons tomorrow. Same time, same place.” And of course, I can’t object it: he knows it just as well as I do.

* * * * * *

That day when I arrive home, the first thing I do is look at myself in the mirror. My hair is as white as ever, swept up into a bun with a few loose strands in the front and slightly messy from all the moving I’d done during training. My skin is pale, which isn’t really strange since I grew up in a darkened world and lived there for ten years before I ever saw the sun, and by then it was too late for any of the pigment in my skin to absorb the sun’s rays. 

My eyes were a bright violet, though the color was mostly blue and not so much the usual mix of both red and blue. They were unique in their own way, even though my eyes used to be brown. Just plain, boring brown, like my old life before Bellicose, where I’d spend most my days venturing the Ruined Cities and watching any old movie I could find. Of course, I didn’t spend all my time watching movies. Most days I was outside, finding new hiding spots and ways to do tricks with abandoned places. That’s how I became flexible, and kept my body toned, so that when Bellicose caught onto me, there wasn’t much to condition.