The Hospital

As soon as they left the room Lorraine began to panic and Lexi could see " It's gonna be okay Mom" Lexi said comforting Lorraine.
Lorraine smiled and kissed her daughter on the top of the head " Thank you sweetie but I'm the one who should be comforting you" Lexi smiled.
They got into the car and and made their way to the hospital. They pulled into the parking lot and they just sat there not moving " Whats the matter Mom?" Lexi asked " Its just the last time I was here, were taking you home and now I'm taking you back" Lorraine felt the tear fall but she wiped it away and pulled herself together.
They walked into the reception area and Lorraine hand over the note that the Dr had written. The receptionist read it and nodded " Okay someone will be with you in the minute" she smiled sweetly.
The girl wasn't lying a Dr appeared seconds later right in front of them " Hello Lexi ,I'm Dr Adams. Let's get you sorted out" Dr Adams said as she lead them towards the paediatric section of the hospital as Lexi was still a minor.
They were taken to a bed where Lexi was told to sit and relax whilst the Dr took Lorraine to one side " We are just going to run some tests and take some bloody samples but I can't do that without your consent due to Lexi being a minor and you are her legal guardian" Dr Adams said handing Lorraine a clip board with the consent form for her sign. Lorraine took the board and gave it a quick read through before she signed on the bottom line.
" Great we'll make a start on those tests now" Dr Adams said taking the board back from Lorraine and walking away for a second.
Lorraine glanced back at Lexi who looked so small,fragile and scared sitting on the bed alone.Lorraine walked over to Lexi " Hey sweetie, how you feeling?" Lexi shrugged " Look I know you're scared but you're in the best place. I've just given the Dr my consent to run some tests on you okay?" Lexi gave a small nod.
" I'm just going to ring your dad so he knows what's happening okay I won't be long" Lexi began to panic " Please don't leave me mom....please don't leave me...." Lexi pleaded as she began to sob.
" Shhh..come on I will be right back and if you need me I'm right down the hall and the nurses are around so just push this bell, okay?" Lexi began to sob  and Lorraine bent forward and kissed Lexi on the top of her head before she walked out onto the hall to call Ed.
Lorraine took a deep breath before she dialled her home phone and Judy answered after 2 rings " Hello Warren residence?" Judy said the utmost confident which brought Lorraine to tears hearing Judy's voice.
" Hey Sweetie it's me" Lorraine said softly.
" Mom? How's Lexi? Are you on your way back?" Judy asked question after question.
" Look honey, I'll tell you in the minute but I need to speak to your dad. Is he there?" Lorries asked.
" Yeah, dads just doing some painting I'll go get him" Lorraine heard Judy put the phone down and called out for her father.
A couple of seconds later Ed picked up the phone " hello?Lorraine?" Ed said with slight worry in his voice.
" Ed" Lorraine began to break down " Lorraine, honey Whats wrong? Is Lexi okay? Are you okay? You're scaring me Lorraine" Ed began to panic after hearing his wife sob down the phone.
Lorraine wiped her eyes " I'm fine Ed. Lexi had her checks and I'm now currently at the hospital with Lexi to dress her wound but there's something else Ed.  The Dr thinks Lexi might have a slight irregular heart beat so they are now running checks" Ed was lost for words so he was silent for a second.
" okay, I'll be right there with Judy you hold on hon" Ed said
" we're on the paediatric ward. Please hurry Ed I can't go through this alone I just can't" Lorraine began to sob again.
" just Hold hon I'm on my way" Ed said
" Ed?" Lorraine asked
" Yes hon" Ed said back
" I love you" Ed smiled " I love you too Lorraine, stay put I'm on my way" Ed said calmly.
Lorraine said goodbye to Ed and hung up the phone.
Lorraine walked along the corridor wiping her eyes, she walked towards Lexi to see that she was now hooked up to machines.
Lorraine was taken back but rushed over " Oh sweetie" Lorraine could see the fear in Lexi's face so she carefully climbed on the bed and managed to avoid any of the wires and wrapped Lexi in her warm embrace.

Ed  arrived at the hospital with Judy in tow. They rushed up to the children's ward only to be told that, his wife was with their daughter so he didn't need to rush. Ed rounded the corner only to stop dead in his tracks seeing Lorraine sitting in the chair next to Lexi's  bed as Lexi slept peacefully.
Judy was shocked to see Lexi all wired up to a machine that beeped every second. Ed could sense Judy's hesitation " Hey kiddo your sister is going to be just fine, okay?" Judy nodded weakly.
They watched for a couple of minutes before they rushed over to them "How is she doing?" Ed whispered to Lorraine.

"Not at all well Ed, just look at her....look how pale she is" Lorraine had tears slipping down her cheeks.

"I think we should leave her to rest , how about we get a coffee?" Ed suggested only to see Lorraine not moving.
" come on hon" Ed placed his arms round Lorraine and it was then that she nodded and decided to move.
"Judy honey we're just getting a coffee sweetie, do you want anything? Do you want to come?" Judy shook her head " No thank you, I want to be with Lexi" They both nodded.
Outside the room and down the corridor they walked in silence to the coffee machine.
" I don't know how we could have missed that Ed" Lorraine shook her head.
" I know hon I know and she is in the best place at the moment" Ed could see how upset his wife really was over this so, he placed his arm round her and she just burst into tears and just sobbed her heart out as she wrapped her arms round husband.
" I'm such a bad parent how could I have not noticed it Ed?"
" don't you dare say that Lorraine ! You are a good parent, Lexi's must have hid it from us that's all. okay"

They walked back into the room, Lorraine took a seat where She sat before she left and Ed sat opposite his wife with Judy next to her father who hand his arm round Judy.Lorraine leant forward and removed the loose strands of hairs from Lexi's face as she slept. Lorraine took Lexi's fragile hand in her own and held it.

They were both in a world of their own as they watched Lexi's chest rise and fall as she slept that they  did not hear the Doctor walk over to her "Mr and Mrs Warren?" They  snapped out of their dream and came back to reality.

"Yes" Ed said softly

" could I speak with you both a moment" seeing the worry on Judy's face so they got up out of their chairs and followed Dr Adams outside in the hall. " I'm Dr Adams, I treated your daughter when she was brought in here, I'm afraid after a cardiogram and ECG and further tests and extensive blood work your daughter has a congenital heart murmur and I'm afraid to say that after last nights recent events we do think it's more likely that it has bought out the heart complaint.We will do our absolute best to get her to regain her strength but it will take time and we think it's best that Lexi stays over night so we can monitor heart rate a little longer. is there any questions you would like to ask?" Ed shook his head.

"Thank you" Lorraine could see that Lexi was slowly waking up  and she was talking to Judy "Hey sweetie, how you feeling?" Lorraine asked softly as she walked into the room.

"dad ?" Lexi said groggily

"Yes Lex I'm here sweetie" Lexi closed her eyes and let the tears fall

"Oh Lexi sweetheart, why are you crying?" Lorraine wiped the loose tears away.

"I'm just glad your all here, I was so frightened" Lorraine got up from her chair, climbed onto the bed, and cuddled Lexi placing a kiss on the top of her head.

"Its ok baby were here now and you're going to be just fine" Lexi could not hold back her tears anymore so she just let them slide down her cheek.
" I'm sorry....." Lexi said weakly.