Exploring the Beach

What you missed if you decided against reading:
-that beautiful beach house belongs to them
-the house is rather isolated from neighbors (i.e. no interruptions)
-they went inside and had a good night

Otherwise, here's what happened next.

Will had already fallen asleep when I got out of the shower last night, and he was gone when I woke up this morning. I wasn't alone for long though. It was almost as if Will could sense that I woke up and came in seconds after with a tray carrying two plates and two cups.

Will smiles when he sees that I'm awake and holds up the tray. "You up for a full Irish?"

"Yes, please. Although it seems a little treasonous don't you think?" I ask playfully. Will and I have discussed our hatred of beans before at length, so we'll take an Irish breakfast over an English one any day. The irony isn't lost on either of us though, given our propensity for cacao beans. They're the only kind of bean we'll consume, given the proper preparation, of course.

Will sets down the tray on the very bottom of the bed and licks a bit of tomato off of his thumb. "If treason is this delicious then I am a happy perpetrator." He picks up one of the plates and brings it to me as an offering, presenting it like a formal waiter might. "Your Irish breakfast madam, minus the blood pudding, just how you like it."

I take it gratefully with a peck. "Thank you."

He puts a cup of coffee on the bedside table beside me before going around the bed to grab his plate and cup. He comes to sit beside me, and I look down at the steaming food on my plate before setting it down on the bedside table and turning to face Will.

"Speaking of treason..."

Will gives me an awed look. "Interesting segue." When he sees the serious look on my face, he immediately puts down his plate on the nightstand beside him and takes one of my hands. "What's wrong? Are you alright? Did something happen? You're pregnant?!"

"No! No." I shake my head and give his hand a squeeze. "Everything's ok. I just wanted to ask what happened last night. You made it very clear you couldn't wait to hold me, and then when I came out of the shower..."

"I had already fallen asleep," Will finishes, looking down as he strokes my hand.

"You didn't even have a chance to shower yourself, love," I say, reaching up and moving a curly strand of hair out of his face. It's not completely dry yet. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, of course. It was just an early...morning." He paused before saying 'morning' as if he regretted the words as they were coming out of his mouth.

I completely forgot that Will got up early that morning to take care of Nigel. That seems a life time ago. That Will and the Will I was with last night seem like two separate people, but I can't deny how exhausted he must have been to be unable to wait twenty minutes for me. Maybe he was up all night the night before. Maybe he just waited for me to fall asleep before he left. How long did Will stay out? What exactly did he do to Nigel? He said he made Nigel pay, but what kind of payment did he mean? The kind that requires shady alleys and staying out all night?

Will sees the concern and hesitation in my face, but he doesn't say anything.

"Where is he now, Will?" My voice is barely above a whisper, but his fingers stop moving which means that he heard me. Where is he? At home?A cell? A hospital bed? A coffin? He doesn't answer right away, so I reach up to cup his chin and force him to look me in the eyes. "Tell me. And don't give me any of those elusive answers. We are married, Will. That means we tell each other the truth. The whole truth. You have to let me in."