All Honesty

"Of course," Will responds.

     At this moment, Wilbur seems to finally notice that Will is injured. I'm not sure why he didn't immediately see the heavy limp when we walked up or the split lip and black eye. "What happened to you, my boy?"

     Will hesitates and reaches up to touch his lip before looking at me, unsure if he should tell his father. I nod to him, and Wilbur glances from Will to me then back to Will. "Remember how we were trying to find Dawn's father?" Wilbur nods slowly, unsure where Will is going with this. "Well...I found him."

     Wilbur puts two and two together, and I see him look from Will to me with surprised and worried eyes. Will puts his arm around me possessively and gives his father an assured look. "Everything has been taken care of."

     I gasp inwardly as I realise that we still have to tell my family about Oscar. I put my hand on Will's arm, look up at him with wide eyes, and whisper, "My family doesn't know."

     Wilbur's eyes follow the affectionate flutter of my hand to Will's arm. He raises an eyebrow at the ring on my left hand, but doesn't say anything, allowing Will to lead him to my family's common room.

     I guess Wilbur got over our family's financial background because he was entirely civil to Mum and Charlie. Will refused to tell me why we came to see my family before settling his father into a room first, but I figured it out later when I saw Wilbur and Mum talking, sat side by side, hips almost touching. I don't know how I didn't see it before, but I think they like each other. The earnestness in Wilbur's face when asking about Mum two days ago makes sense now. The light blush that arose to Mum's face when I told her where Will and I were going that morning also makes sense.

     The first words out of Wilbur's mouth to Mum were an apology for leaving like he did all those years ago without a genuine reason and without any parting words. She was speechless at this, but moreso at his sheer presence. I delighted in the look of utter surprise on her face when we walked in. She got flustered and awkward for a while before settling into comfortable conversation with her newfound peer.

    I nuzzle into Will's side as we watch Wilbur talk to the grandparents and rekindle his relationship with Mum. Charlie bounces up and down on a couch beside Grandma Georgina who sits with a calm, pleasant smile on her face, knowing nothing of what is going on around her.

     Mum hasn't seen the ring yet, but when she does, it's going to be a scene. I just can't tell if it'll be a happy scene or an angry one. She generally likes Will and has seen that he makes me happy, so she might be joyous and excited. Then again, it has been just two weeks since meeting for the first time as adults. She might think we're moving too fast and be mad that I would promise myself over that quickly. I'm an adult perfectly capable of making decisions for myself, but I'd hate it if she stopped talking to me over something like this. If I tell her about Oscar and how Will saved us all from him, she might be more inclined to hold her tongue about the brevity of our relationship. The incident with Oscar keeps slipping my mind, seemingly wiped away by the night with Will and all worries gone down the drain with the blood.

     "What happened to your eye, Will?" Charlie comes over and lifts his top hat a little so his face isn't hidden in shadow. Everyone in the room suddenly stops talking and looks at Will. The cordiality immediately disappears and is replaced by a heavy, ominous feeling. Wilbur raises an eyebrow, no doubt wondering why we haven't told my family of the matter yet. I sit up straight and take off my top hat with turquoise trim, no longer feeling jovial and kittenish.