Wonka-Vision

"I wanna pick a room!" Mike exclaims. Even though he's no older than Charlie, he seems to lack the childlike innocence that my little brother has because there was no excitement in his voice. Only malice and greed.

Charlie tugs on my scarf to bring me down to his level and whispers in my ear, "Are you alright, Dawn?" I nod wordlessly and offer him a half-smile that probably looked more like a grimace. "Is Mr. Wonka?"

I look up at the distant man. A resting-smile plays about his lips, but the flaring nostrils betray his true emotion. His eyes dart about and I see all sorts of hurt in them. His posture is stiff and he looks down at Mike with that empty smile. "Go ahead."

He waves an unenthusiastic arm absentmindedly at the buttons behind him. I turn back to Charlie. "Not yet."

I squeeze Will's hand again and he looks at me with those sorrowful eyes. I offer a small smile and see him mouth, Starshine. I take a deep breath and stand on my tiptoes so the others won't hear. "We're close. I don't know what to, but you said it before and I believe you. I trust you. I haven't been able to say that to anyone in a very long time, but I do." I bring my hands up to his lapels and let them rest there for a moment. What you make me feel is good. "You make me feel safe." I like it. "I like it." I like you. "I...I..." Will's eyes deepen and I feel warmth seeping back into his gaze. I like you. "I l...like..." He raises his arms and wraps careful hands around my forearms. I like you. "I like...y...you."

His lavender eyes twinkle and a brilliant smile lights up his face. "I like you too," he whispers, placing a kiss on the top of my head. We separate and turn to Mike who has been looking over his options and seems to have reached a decision.

"The televison room," Mike announces, pressing a button beside his father. And just like that, the elevator goes zipping off once again. Charlie looks up at me and glances between Will and I with a gleeful, knowing look.

My brow wrinkles subconsciously. "What? Why are you making that face?"

He smiles wider at my questions. "Nothing. You're just...happy." He leans into me. "I haven't seen you this happy before."

I look up at Will who puts a steadying arm around my shoulders when the elevator makes another sharp turn. I am happy, aren't I? What is happy? Is it just being warm and content and full? I'm warm and content, but my stomach is still mostly empty. Is it seeing new things and taking a break from work? I'm seeing new things, but they aren't partiularly joy eliciting. No, I'm not working, but is that why I can't help but smile here? Or does that have something to do with the new friend that understands me and has a genuine interest in me that no one has ever had before? Usually endless questions send my mind into a swirl of pain, but these questions are ok. When I finally find the words to respond to Charlie's comment about me being happy, they are directed more at Will than Charlie. "I haven't had a reason before."

Will looks at me weirdly, and I ask him why silently with a tilt of my head. He seems to mull over what he should say and settles on, "I'll bet you have. You just don't remember."

What does that mean? I don't think he meant anything bad by it, but now I'm confused. What does he know that I don't? Sadly, I don't have anymore time to think about it because the elevator slows to a stop and we all pile out in a stark white room. There's a giant camera in one corner that says "Wonka-Vision" on the side and a tiny television in the opposite corner. There are Oompa Loompas bustling left and right, operating several computers and pieces of equipment, all wearing white protective suits and goggles like the ones I have. Will stops us at the door and passes out goggles.