Blind Leading The Blind

In case you haven't caught on by now, each chapter picks up immediately from the last one. It would be beneficial to go back and read the end of the chapter before, this chapter moreso, I believe.

I feel him shift and hear his breathing hitch. "I don't know," he responds in a voice just as soft. "I just won't. Living without other humans in this factory for so long, I've forgotten what certain emotions feel like and what they are. But this one...the one I feel for you...I don't think I've ever felt it before." My cheeks burn red and I pull away. I'll tell you what I feel right now; confusion. Will retracts his arms, unaware of what made me pull away. "I...I didn't mean..." I turn and begin following the others to the other side of the bridge. He catches my hand and heat sears my palm. Not a painful heat, good heat, the kind that comes after a long day in the cold, the kind that happens when my family is all together and happy, the kind that warms me all the way to my heart. "I mean...what you make me feel is good, it makes me happy. I like it...I like you."

I slip my hand from his hesitantly. What do I say to that? How do I respond? I've been told all my life that I am worthless, stupid, and loathsome. I know how to handle that, alone time and tears. But this? I have no idea what to do with this.

I'm just about to open my mouth to say something, I'm not sure what, but something, anything, when Charlie, bless his angelic heart, calls for me up ahead. I look down and turn, walking quickly to catch up with Charlie before awkward silence cements itself around Will and me.

Will steps off the bridge after me just as it folds back in on itself. He sweeps past me to unlock the door and for the first time since meeting him, his gaze refuses to fall on me. His posture is very stiff and his arms move rigidly. His face darkens as he waves everyone in. I messed up, didn't I?

As I pass him, he averts his eyes and I can feel cold emanating toward me. He's not happy. About what? Me not reciprocating his puzzling sentiments? Me not understanding? Me not responding at all? What did I do? More importantly, what do I do now? How do I fix it? What does he want me to do?

A small, warm hand finds its way into mine, and I breath a sigh of relief, waiting for the bad thoughts to go away like they always do. Mike makes a face at a passing Oompa Loompa, and I frown. Not because he was rude to the little person, though that was extremely impolite, but because clarity didn't find me. Charlie didn't help. He always helps! His presence always helps! What do I do? Will won't help me. I was mean to him. I wronged him. He hates me. What do I do?!

"I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier! The elevator is by far the most efficient way to get around the factory." Will gestures to an elegant glass box large enough to fit six people max. He didn't think of it before because it wouldn't have worked before, I think sarcastically. I'm still fighting to stay in control and focus on the discordant sounds of feet pounding as we pile into the glass elevator.

"There can't possibly be this many floors," Mike avers cockily. He raises an eyebrow in challenge at Mr. Wonka. I mean, Will. He's still the same Will I know, just a little mad, I chastize myself silently. At me. I focus on the buttons covering the walls labeled with all sorts of names. These are probably the names of rooms, not floors.

Will raises an eyebrow as well, meeting the challenge. He doesn't wiggle it and glance in my direction though. He doesn't cast a secret smile my way meant for my eyes only. He doesn't even seem to notice my regressing state. Instead he has been watching Charlie with a proud fascination as the boy gazes in wonderment at the buttons around him. To Mike's comment, he cleverly responds, "How do you know, Mr. Smarty Pants? This isn't just an ordinary up and down elevator, for your information. It can go sideways, slantways, longways, and any other ways you can think of. You just push a button, and whoosh, you're of!"