The Beaches

"And you're sure you're ok with looking out for each other while I'm gone?" I ask for the millionth time. "I mean, what if one of the grandparents falls and needs help? What if Charlie gets hurt?" I turn to him. "Promise me you won't go monkeying around the factory while I'm not here?"

     Charlie nods. "I promise, Dawn. Go with Will! You deserve a holiday!"

     I give him a tight squeeze and then embrace Mum. "Charlie's right, we'll be fine."

     "And if you do need anything, you h-"

     "Yes! We have your phone number!" Mum smiles, making the edges of her eyes crinkle. I hug each of the grandparents, giving them individual goodbyes.

     Will taps his foot good naturedly. "Dove, don't make me drag you out of here by your feet. They'll all be here when we get back, safe and sound, you don't have to worry."

     I go to stand in the elevator beside him and our bags. "I know. I just..."

     Will lifts my face with a gentle hand, his next words meant just for me, "You've just spent the last 20 years worrying about your family. I get it, and I'm not asking you to stop, I'm telling you that it's ok to stop. They are safe and warm and clothed and well fed. They have everything they need, now it's time for me to give you what you need."

     He offers a mischevieous smile and I giggle. How does he know me so well? He practically read the anxieties on my face, and he knew the perfect way to assuage them.

     "Then by all means, 'give' away," I respond with a laugh. We wave to our family and shout one last goodbye as Will takes us off the ground and into the air. The sun has just started to set, painting the sky in gorgeous rich shades of orange, pink, and gold. A warm blueish purple is edging it's way up from the east, ready to take over the sky when the sun finally disappears. As I see the factory get smaller and smaller and the clouds bigger and bigger, I start to realize that I don't know where we're going. Our honeymoon was kind of impulsive after this morning's fight. Will just kind of told me to pack my bags and I did. I neglected to even ask where we were going though.

     Will and I sit across from each other on the floor, legs out in front of us, slightly cramped because of our bags on both sides. We sit in silence for a while, just watching the sky darken and envelop us in cool tendrils of night.

     "So...do I get to know where we're going?"

     Will ponders for a second and then shakes his head with a smile. "No."

     I roll my eyes. "Do I even want to know?" I give him a suspicious look. "If you're taking me to a jungle, I'm out. Creepy crawlies and I do not get along."

     He smiles again and takes my hand. "It's not a jungle. Think drier."

     "I don't like deserts either." I watch him separate my fingers and play with my wedding rings.

     "Not that dry."

     I squint at him. Where could he be taking me? He definitely isn't the type to plan a normal honeymoon. I think of bright colors and interesting foods and laughter. "An amusement park?"

     He looks up in horror. "Do you know how many children are at amusement parks?"

     I giggle. "A lot?"

     "A lot. And that's not even mentioning the adults. Where I'm taking you, there are much less people, trust me." He turns my hand over and starts tracing the lines on my palm.

     "The top of a mountain?" I guess, looking down through the transparent floor at the buildings and barely visible people rushing home whizzing by. Droplets of water have started to form on the glass from the clouds and cold, but inside the elevator, we're warm and dry.