Spoiling the Rotten

The week passed quite uneventfully for us Buckets. Charlie went to school, Mum and I went to work and my grandparents just kind of sat there. I had to get up extra early this morning to get more medicine for Grandma Josephine and we almost didn't have enough money. That scared me more than anything has in a long time. It's ok when there's not enough money for a full dinner because we can survive without it for a day. Grandma Josephine might not survive a day without taking her heart medication. Money has always worried me, but it does more so everyday. Each day my grandparents grow older and each day their health gets a little worse. Soon, I won't be able to pay to keep all of them in good health, and Mum may join the group. I noticed her getting tired doing the simplest of tasks, and she has a constant cough. It seems like she's always complaining of being hot despite the chilly winter air too.

Charlie is going to be eating more every year, becoming an adult and needing more food. The future looks bleak, maybe it's time I turn to my alternate means of income. I promised Mum I wouldn't talk about it, not that I wouldn't do it.

I hear the pleasant ding of the shop door as I enter. My senses are bombarded immediately and I nearly lose my footing because of the distractions. Colors swirl in my vision, and the sounds of chatter and the light crinkling of wrappers hits my ears. Warm, rich smells surround me, so intense I can just taste them. All thoughts are plucked from my mind and thrown into mixing bowls to be covered in a sweet sugar coating.

"Can I help you, miss?" a kind old man behind the counter asks. He wears a benevolant smile and waits patiently. My eyes run along the display of Wonka bars, searching for the right one.

"One Wonka Whipple-scrumptious fudgemallow delight, please," I answer. I don't think Charlie's had this one yet, he'll enjoy it.

"That'll be two pounds, please." He reaches out with both hands, one holding the bar, one waiting for me to produce the money. I pull out some coins and count them before blanching. I'm fifty pence short. I look up, blushing fiercely. I spent most of our money on Grandma Josephine's medication.

"Look, I really need this candy bar. It's my brother's birthday tomorrow and he deserves this." I silently plead with my eyes, opening the hand with the coins to show him my shortcomings. He snorts, irritated.

"Well, I can't go around handing out candy for free. If I cut the price for you, I'd have to cut the price for everyone, wouldn't I? And I can't very well do that." He begins to rescind his outstretched hands.

"Wait!" Charlie deserves this. He needs this, he is getting this. "I'll work for you. The day after tomorrow, I'll come and do what ever you want to pay if off. It's only fifty pence, I can work an hour or two, sweep or clean or whatever you want." I clasp my hands. "Please..."

"Oh, all right. But I decide when, and I choose tomorrow. The regular employee called off and I need someone in here with me." My heart sinks. Tomorrow is Sunday and I almost complain as much, but think better. He is being kind enough already.

"Thank you!" He puts the bar in my hands with a wink as I hand him the money I have. "Thank you so much!"

I hurry home, eager to get out of the bitter January weather. When I finally arrive and the door slams itself shut, I see the occupants of the house glued to the TV. Charlie looks up and beckons me over, mixed emotions on his face. I see excitement and disappointment. I leave the chocolate in my jacket pocket and sit on the floor beside Charlie. There's a girl who seems to be Charlie's age holding a shiny, gold piece of paper. A Golden Ticket! I almost forgot about the competition! The candy bar in my pocket seems to grow heavy.

We watch the brief interview and discover that the little girl is even worse than the boy before her. She is a spoiled brat who thinks she deserves the world and demands it. She didn't even find the ticket herself, her father's workers did.

We all sit in shocked silence, scowls alighting our faces one by one until Grandpa George remarks, "She's even worse than the fat boy."

"I don't think that was really fair. She didn't find the ticket herself," Charlie comments. So I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

"Don't worry, Charlie," Grandpa Joe says. "That man spoils his daughter, and no good ever comes of spoiling a child like that."

Despite Grandpa Joe's words of reassurance, Charlie isn't completely assured. He looks displeased and a little annoyed. Those emotions just don't look right on his face. I know what'll cheer him up. "Charlie, I know your birthday isn't until tomorrow, but how would you like to open your present tonight?"

His face lights up again and he nearly knocks me over with a hug. I pull the bar out and place it in his hands reverently. He clutches it and breaths, "A Wonka Whipple-scrumptious fudgemallow delight." Doubt flashes across his face and I frown, wondering what's wrong. I swear, if this kid says that's not the kind he wanted, I'm gonna lose it. "Maybe I should wait until tomorrow."

We all know the possibilities waiting under that wrapper and Charlie's trying to put it off. Grandpa George is having none of it, though. "Like hell!"

"Dad!" Mum exclaims, gesturing to Charlie.

"If you add our ages together, we're three hundred eighty-one years old. We don't wait!" I watch Charlie intently. He nods slowly and looks down at the candy nervously. If he doesn't find it, he's going to be really disappointed. The last thing I need right now is a sad little brother.

"Don't be too disappointed if you don't get the ticket now, Charlie," I caution.

"Whatever happens, you'll still have the candy," Mum sweetly adds. Charlie slides off the outer wrapping slowly and I can feel the room tense. He grips the foil and peels it back carefully, then quickly. No gold. I feel my heart sink and know everyone else is feeling the same. Charlie, in a last twinge of hope, moves the chocolate and looks around and under everything to make sure he didn't miss it.

"Ah, it's alright buddy. Don't feel too bad," I say, standing to get ready for bed.

"We'll share it!" Charlie proclaims. Grandpa Joe begins to protest but Charlie cuts him off. "It's my candy bar, and I'll do what I want with it."

He breaks it into chunks and passes them out. When he holds out a piece to me, I shake my head and say what I always do, "You know I don't like chocolate. You enjoy it though."

It's another lie, and everytime I tell it, to my little brother no less, I wither a little inside. But I have to and I will, I'll lie to the end of time if it means Charlie gets more. I'll happily take less to give Charlie more. And maybe that'll be the death of me, caring for my family more than me. I'll gladly take it though because when I love, I love with my whole heart.

You have no idea what it means to me that people are actually reading my words. I'm pretty isolated so this means the world to me. Thank you for reading!
Vote and comment if you liked it!
xoxo Tilly