One Last Fling

No, I refuse to accept that Charlie will end up like me. I have to do something, now. We need more money to use and to put away. I spent all night thinking about this and I've made up my mind. Mum never has to know about it. I'll do it tonight and see how things go. After a meager breakfast, I set out and head to just the alley I need. I've spent my fair share of time on the street as a kid, so I got to know the city pretty well. I know where to go to get a sturdy jacket for a decent price. I know where to go to get a kid if you need something disposed of or taken care of. I know who to go to if the high-society snobs are treating you like a wet teabag and you need one messed up. And I know where to go to find the infamous board for girls with no where to go. All you need is a paper where you write your name, available times and then you post it. Usually within the day, there's a location scrawled on in quick writing.

I put mine up with a racing heart and duck out of the alley quickly. Then, I try to forget about it and make my rounds. Good morning, Mr. Reikon! Anything for me today? No? Alright then, have a nice day! Good morning, Mr. Karstaire! Could you use a hand with something today? Babysitting this afternoon? I'll see you then! Good morning, Mrs. Lavelle! Got any chores you'd spare a few pounds for? The gardening? Happy to!

I've been so restless all morning, it's all I can do to focus on the gutters I'm cleaning out. The idea of what I have to do is strangely split between two very different reactions. Part of me thinks it will be awful and scary, the other thinks it'll be fun and make me more confident. It really depends on how it goes and who saw the notice.

I'm heading home for lunch when, in a spur of the moment decision, I make a sharp turn and hurry to the alley to check on my notice. My breath comes in quick puffs of steam as it leaves my lips and clouds my goggles. I push them up onto my forehead and hop over a pile of trash that spilled out of a bag long ago. I scan the board quickly and blanch when I see scribbled in hasty handwriting at the bottom of my paper, East Elm Street. 11:00 pm.

My eyes widen and I feel chilled to the bone. I shiver and snatch the paper, shoving it unceremoniously into my pocket alongside the empty bird's nest I had found in the gutter for Charlie. I knew it was long since vacant, so I thought it'd make a cool late birthday present. I make my way home carefully, checking over my shoulder every so often to make sure I'm not being followed by whoever left those words for me. East Elm Street.

I finally make it home and eat with my grandparents. Charlie's at school and Mum's probably working through lunch, the deal is I make them lunch and Mum makes us all dinner. Though I usually end up making part of dinner despite it being Mum's job, I don't mind.

We eat in silence until I gather enough courage to say, "I'm going to spend the night at Addie's house. She invited me over to see her new house and to sleep there. Could you tell Mum?"

"Why, sure we can. No shenanigans with that boy of hers, you hear?" Grandpa Joe says.

"They're married, Grandpa Joe. I'll be staying in their guest bedroom," I respond. The story is, Addie comes from a rich and kind family. She has me over for dinner at her parent's house sometimes and has a fourteen year old brother who likes to pull her hair. Addie's a year older than me and plays the piano. She's been married since November and recently fixed up a place for her and her husband. Her husband is a banker and very well off. I helped her parent's with housework once and that's how we met. She's very down-to-earth and likes how hardworking I am.

My family buys it, so I keep selling it. I clear the makeshift table and wash the bowls and spoons. I say my goodbyes and tell them to give Charlie an extra squeeze for me before heading out into the cold, toward Mr. Karstaire's house.