One in a Million

Despite being confined to bed yesterday, Mum seems to have forgotten I was sick at all and insisted I work today. It's not like I wouldn't have, but there was something so agitating about her telling me what to do. I've been working outside all day and my skin is similar to how it was yesterday. My nose is pink and runny, my ears numb with cold. My fingertips are sore and rubbed raw from shovelling pretty much all day. My bones ache and my joints groan with ever movement. My eyes are the only things that are unaffected and that's all thanks to my aviator goggles.

     I trudge home, listening to the crunch of snow underfoot, the howling of furious wind, and the distant calls of children. It's been a long day and I'm eager, if a little nervous, to see if there's any news of the fifth Golden Ticket.

     I arrive at the gate and immediately know something's wrong. I can hear voices even from out here. I freeze, unsure if I should go in or get something first. I don't know what I would get anyway, but I would feel better not going in empty handed because chances are, the upset is food related. I'm about to turn around and get bread or milk or something with the money in my pocket when I see Charlie's face pop up in the window. He has the largest grin on his face that I've ever seen from anyone. He bounces up and runs out the door, barreling into my arms. He grabs my hands and pulls me inside without saying a word.

     My confused smile drops when the action reminds me of two nights ago and what Nigel did to me. Charlie hardly notices and shuts the door behind me. I stand in a traumatized silence, mind gone to wherever minds go to protect themselves when you have memories like those.

     Charlie starts talking and a few words jump out immediately, ticket, mine, tomorrow, we won. These words hoist me from my reveries and shock me into reality. Charlie found a Golden Ticket. He's going to the factory. He won.

     Happiness fills my heart and I sit down with Charlie letting him tell me the full story himself. "...and then I ran right back here and I wasn't going to go but Grandpa George convinced me and then I read the ticket and it says I can take one person with me!"

     He stops to take a breath so I jump in. "Who are you taking with you? Mum?"

     He has a hesitant expression on his face and looks up at me with bashful eyes. Why's he being shy? "Well..."

     "Or are you taking Grandpa Joe? He did work there," I reason.

     Grandoa Joe snorts. "Poppycock! That factory hasn't been around longer than ten years and I've been in this bed for that long. It was just a fanciful story, and besides, I couldn't walk more than a meter without falling over. I'd never keep up."

     "Then Mum will go with you. I'll clean your good coat and we can-"

     Mum cuts me off with a low, gentle voice. "Dawn. He wanted you to go with him."

     I look back at Charlie and see him with a hopeful expression on his face, but still a little shy. He wants me to go with him? Why?

     He seems to have read my mind and responds, "I just think it's so sad you don't like chocolate. The rest of us think it's wonderful, and I don't understand why you don't like it. I think if you came with me, you'd learn to appreciate it if not like it."

     "Aw, buddy..." I don't know what to say.

     "And besides, you're my best friend. There's no one I'd rather have with me." He smiles and the corner of my mouth twitches. I'm almost always working, but when I'm home, we are best friends. We're close. Really close, now that I think about it. We've shared countless little moments that warm me on the coldest days.

     "If Mum's alright with it..." We both look to her, and she smiles and nods. "Then I'd love to!"

     Charlie jumps up and claps his hands, laughing in triumph. Excitement bubbles up in me and I nearly join him. Happiness. True happiness. My heart fills with joy for the first time in a long time. I had hoped Charlie would find a ticket, I really did. But I never thought he would actually find one, not in a million years. I close my eyes and smile. For the first time in sixteen years, I smile. Thank you, Mr. Willy Wonka. For this chance. For this win. For my smile.

A few things I should address: number one, I am well aware that in the 2005 movie, the factory had been open for 20 years, bear with me, I have my reasons. Number two, I'm sorry I haven't posted until now, I'm just so busy getting back to school.
Anyway, thank you for reading! You're awesome!
Dont forget to vote and comment!
xoxo, Tilly