𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

The next morning we woke up at 8 am. We had practice at noon. Me and Charlie walked down to the locker rooms after we got ready. Julie of course knew something was going on and she came up to me and pulled me aside. "V, tell me what's going on with you and Captain Duck over there." I look over at Charlie and I look back at Julie. "I've had a huge crush on him since we got here, and last night he asked me out, and I said yes." I blushed while responding. Julie's jaw dropped. "You and Captain Duck are dating?!" She yelled in response. "Shhh Julie!" All the ducks overheard and started crowding us. "When did this happen?!?" All the ducks asked. "Last night, I asked Vi out." Charlie responded and put his arm around me. I just blushed. It was now time for practice and one of the coach's friends, Han was helping Luis stop using cans stacked up as a wall. The rest of us were 'getting back to the basics' as the coach said. We crawled on the ice. We practiced shooting at the goalies. Mostly Goldberg. Banks and Me were making the most goals. After that we went to the gym and we used the treadmills. That's what really weared us out. I had an average body for my age. I wasn't super super skinny but I'd say I was fit. We all got back to the locker rooms and changed. We all were leaving except I stayed behind a little longer. I was still in the bathroom, looking at my insecurities and what not. Then I suddenly heard coach Bombay talking to Adam. "Now just think how you'd play with two good wrists." I peek my head out of the bathroom. "Coach. It's just a little sore. I'm okay." Adam responded. I could tell he wasn't okay. Coach knew he wasn't okay either. "I should have spotted this sooner.Sorry, man. I wasn't doing my job." Bombay was saying as he walked towards Adam. "Coach, I'm fine. I can play, I swear." Adam says in a nervous tone. "Okay...Here. Let's find out." Coach responds holding out a hockey stick to Adam. He takes it with his good wrist. "The other hand." Coach says while Adam switches his hands. "Now rotate it." Coach said calmly. Adam just drops the hockey stick to the ground. "I have to bench you." Bombay says. I couldn't believe it. Adam? Benched? "No! You can't do that." Adam says, raising his voice slightly. I could tell he was hurt. "Adam, you could injure yourself permanently." "You can't bench me. I gotta play. All the scouts are here watching me. This is my shot." I think that was the last of Adam's concerns right now. "You're young and you're gonna have plenty of shots, believe me." Coach responds. "But my dad's counting on me." Adam says while falling down onto the bench. "I'm sorry." is all the coach could get out. "Hey. My dad worked a lot when I was a kid. So when he made it to a game. I wanted to bad to score 100 goals for him. I spent half the game a nervous wreck, my stomach in knots." Coach continues. "That's how I feel." Adam said, very pure and honest. "Before he died, my dad  told me that his happiest times were watching me skate on this bond we had behind our house. He didn't need me to score 100 goals for him. He was proud of me 'cause I was his son and I did my best. I'm sure that's how your dad feels. I know it is." The coach said that and it almost made me cry. I could see Adam crying. "Thanks, Coach." Adam replied. "All right. Let's go get that wrist x-rayed. Come on." Coach left the locker room. Adam just sat there wiping away his tears. I just walked out of the bathroom slowly and I sat down next to Adam and I rubbed his back. "Oh hey V. Wait, did you hear that whole conversation. I nod. "Adam, you know it's alright to have an injury. Next time tell us so you can get back on the ice quicker." He just pulls me into a hug. "It's alright Adam. You'll be back on the ice in no time." I pat his back. He pulls out. "Thanks, V. I should go catch up to the coach." Adam replies while getting up. "Okay talk to you later Adam." I say as he's walking away. I needed to go back to my dorm. Charlie was probably worried.