Chapter 2 - Bare Brothers

Caspian was not in the least bit pleased. His territory had been taken over by four intruders. Nicole did her best to comfort him, fetching another sugar lump from aunty, stroking his mane, whispering in his ear he was her favourite. He gradually calmed down, the odd snort to let her know he was still considering the new arrivals.

Waverly was busy tending to her four, occasionally looking over to see what Nicole was doing. Admiring her gentle manner. Too often those left in charge of such beautiful beasts had a tendency to be rough, expecting the horses to do what they were told with little, or no consideration for their sensitive nature. Nicole was different. Waverly could tell she loved Caspian, as she loved her four.

"Have you been with the circus long?" Waverly asked, brushing the coat of the black horse.

"All my life. Well, most."

"Where were you before?"

Nicole was reluctant to say. She was wary of others prying into her private affairs. "Around. Just around."

"Travelling? A gypsy?"

Nicole nodded. Better to say that than an orphanage. A cruel one at that.

"Me too. Gypsy parents in the circus. They were in Europe."

"Where's that?"

Waverly laughed. "Across the water. On a boat. Different countries. Then they came here and stayed."

"Here?"

"Here. This country. You ever been abroad?"

"Abroad?"

"You do know what abroad means?"

Nicole nodded. She didn't, but she sensed Miss Waverly liked to test. She hated being tested as much as she hated someone prying. She might not know how to read, or write, but that did not mean she was stupid. She could count to five.

Waverly pushed for an answer. "Well. Where have you been?"

"I said around. Why do you ask so much?"

"Curious. Always have been. Wynonna says my brains will pop out my ears one day."

"Wynonna?"

"My sister. Very bossy. Do not annoy her. She bites."

"Bites?"

"Not really. But, she does have a sharp tongue. She'll like you. Anyone good to the horses she likes. I'm starving. Give mine water. Not too many sugar lumps. Makes them lazy."

Nicole did a little dance, doffing her cap making Waverly laugh. Nicole liked her laugh. Sweet, good natured. If only she would stop talking, stop asking so many questions. Caspian nudged her in the back wanting attention. She patted his side, kissing his neck, running her hand over his back.

Early afternoon. The circus was ready to move on to the next town, only a few hours or so away. A huge logistical exercise to get everything packed into crates, loaded onto wagons. The other horses needed to pull them were kept in a field unless the weather was bad. Younger than Caspian, they were working horses, Nicole tending to them each day as part of her chores.

Waverly was bringing out her horses as they passed. A smile, nothing said, Nicole wondered why she was suddenly so quiet. Then again, she hardly knew her. A brief conversation in the stables. She doffed her cap in respect, earning a laugh.

"I'm no lady, N."

"Can treat you like one, if I like."

"Suits me. Lady Waverly. Who are you then?"