Chapter 20 - The Stables

The younger gentleman offered his seat to Waverly, who suddenly was feeling as N felt, that their world was changing before their eyes. She had not considered anything other than making sure Nicole got what was due to her. Loyal to those she loved would be an understatement when it came to Waverly. She had punched one of the older Hardy brothers in the face once for making insinuating comments about Wynonna. He had gone to hit her back, the youngest Hardy boy pulling her away just in time. When Wynonna found out a Hardy boy had dared raise his hand to her baby sister, she floored him with a single punch of her own. The Earp's were nothing if not protective of each other.

Nicole waited as the older gentleman removed a number of papers once more from the large, leather wallet in his possession. He sat for a moment placing them in the order in which he wanted to present, finally looking up. "Before we start, may I introduce myself. I am Mr. Horatio Bird, solicitor to your family and this is my nephew, Mr. Chase. I must say, it left me vexed you were not at the orphanage when I visited. I had stern words for the governor and his ill-handling of the situation. That you were able to run away from that establishment, without so much as an enquiry made as to your whereabouts."

"I be beaten. Had no choice."

"I am very sorry to hear that. It was on my instructions, at the behest of Mrs. Templeton that said governor was removed. Clearly, not fit to do his job. Or, any job for that matter. I hear he drank himself to death not long after his removal."

"He starved me friend. And, beat her too."

"N, Mr. Bird doesn't want to hear about Daisy."

Mr. Bird held up several sheets of cream-coloured paper, handing one sheet to his nephew. "I have before me the last Will of your late mother, a Mrs Alice Russell of Howton Conquest, a village not far from here. It was on her instructions that we find you so that you may inherit what was left on her passing. There is also the matter of a debt in the sum of £100 to be paid, I'm afraid."

Nicole was standing once more, backing away from the table, knowing full well she did not have that kind of money to pay that kind of debt. At most she had £4 to her name, a lot by her reckoning, although could not be sure, aunty keeping most of her money in a jar on the top shelf of her wagon. Waverly grabbed her hand to stop her running. "Sit, you need to listen to what these men have to say. N, sit."

Nicole had heard enough. "I be poor. I have a child on the way and I can't be paying no debt."

"Young lady, it is not for me to enquire as to the child on the way. That is not my concern. What I will say is the debt should be of no concern to you either. Please be seated, there is a lot to go through and we must be on our way to London no later than 3pm."

She sat, the huge debt all that was on her mind, distracting her from what Mr. Bird was about to tell her. Waverly noticed, squeezing her leg to get her to pay attention, which only distracted her more. She didn't want to listen. She didn't want to have Alice Russell interfere with her life. She had caused her enough anxiety already. And, she never knew the woman.

Mr. Bird noticed he had lost Nicole's attention. "May I continue? Your mother married one George Russell, sadly not having any children by that marriage. On his death some assets passed to your mother, who on her death bequeathed them to you."

"There be assets?" Nicole asked.

"Failing to find you, the assets were placed in the care of a Mrs Templeton as custodian, a woman who nursed your mother up to the time of her death."

"So, there not be assets?"

"Now your identity has been established, I am satisfied you hold claim to said assets. It was made very clear to Mrs Templeton that should you be found all assets would pass to you."