Chapter 28 - More Bacon

Both performances had gone well. Wynonna returned in high spirits to enjoy another night in a comfy bed. Waverly had waited up despite Nicole insisting she should rest, offering to stay up with her. As much as she wanted the company, she also wanted to speak with Wynonna alone, even though it was past midnight by the time she arrived.

Flopping into an armchair in the drawing room, pulling off her boots, she gladly accepted the double whiskey being handed to her. "I think I've got a real chance with this act. Papa always said there was a turning point to his name becoming known. You should have seen the crowds tonight. Most were standing, applauding by the end. How are you feeling?"

"Better. Listen, I want to come back with you. I can't stay here like a caged bird. And, N wouldn't let me ride today. She means well, but I'm worried I'll end up miserable and lonely."

"Right. Miserable and lonely, while being well fed, having your breakfast brought to you on a tray. I've been dreaming of bacon all day."

"Wyn, you're not helping. I know this is something not to be sniffed at. And, I know if I asked N she would give it all up to be with me. But, that would mean her missing out on what's hers."

Wynonna held out her glass for a refill. "I must say, not that I know much about whiskeys, but this particular whiskey is as good as bacon."

"Wyn, what do I do? Help me."

Wynonna took a sip of her drink, placing the glass on a small table beside her. "Have you discussed any of this with N? You need to talk to her, tell her what's going on in that pretty little head of yours. She's not a mind reader. And, by the sounds of it, you two clearly haven't had the talk yet."

"I know she loves me. And, I know she wants the best for me. And, I know...Wyn, I don't know. I really don't know what I want other than the thought of losing you is making me feel miserable."

"Waverly, Waverly, Waverly, you're mixing up two problems. I am one of your problems. N is the other. Let's deal with me first, because I'm the most important. What do you want to do about me?"

"Stay with you. Keep travelling, keep performing as we always have. Share the wagon with you."

"And, you can do all that with a child?"

"Yes, maybe. We would make it work."

"We would, but it will be hard. Harder than you realise. The circus life isn't for the weak, or the lazy. Or, let's be honest, the very young. You would have to care for a child and perform."

"So, you're telling me to stay. You don't want me and the child with you, is that it?"

"Little chickie, if I was telling you that I would have told you that straight to your face. I am getting you to look at what is worrying you. To make you face the problem. What did papa say? A problem faced is a problem solved. Now, your second problem is N."

"She's not the problem. It's all this. I don't feel I fit in. And, it's all N's. None of this is mine. I'll be dependent on her. I'll have to do what she says."

"And, there we have it. It's not N, or her enormous, comfy, bacon-filled house that's the problem. Is it? It's having to bow to N. You think now she has all this you won't have the upper hand."

"That's not fair," Waverly shouted. "I don't mind taking orders."

"Really? You rejected that other boy who kept asking you out for the youngest Hardy because he was more of a pushover. I think you like N because you can boss her around. She's like a puppy dog around you. All eyes and wagging tail. I bet if you asked, she'd bark and roll over."