Chapter 13 - Life Circle

Nicole banged on the door of Waverly's wagon, Wynonna's voice yelling from inside. "Alright, alright, hold your horses."

The door flew open, nearly knocking Nicole off the steps. "She is in the stables," she pointed. "In the stables."

"Waverly's sick. Don't look too right."

Wynonna grabbed her coat and boots, scrambling to put everything on at once, as she followed Nicole back the way she came. Waverly was still sitting on the hay bale when they entered, Wynonna putting an arm round her sister's shoulder. "What's wrong? You look really pale."

"I'm fine. A little tired that's all."

"Come and rest. Nicole can see to the horses."

"She can't. She's not well. She should be in bed."

Wynonna looked at Nicole for help. "N, tell her she needs to rest."

"Wyn, you know she can't hear. Let me finish here, please. I need to do this."

"I keep forgetting she can't hear. N, I would just like to say I'm glad you're alive, but you were an arse running off like that, leaving my sister worried sick, and..."

"Wyn, stop. That's really cruel of you," Waverly yelled, her eyes filling with tears. "Her life hasn't been easy. And, I made it worse."

"I'll grant you that. Two weeks knowing you and she's now deaf, limps and has a stupid smile on her face all the time."

Waverly lashed out, catching Wynonna on the shoulder with her fist. "I hate you. I wish I had gone with mama and papa to Italy. You're just jealous I have someone."

"Right. Jealous. Of Miss Hoppity here. Oh, that's right, she can't."

Waverly screamed. "Why are you so mean to me? I feel awful and you're not helping."

"Thank you. That's all I needed to hear. Stop being a martyr Waves. It's not helping anyone. I know you love N. You soldiering on, doing her work, when you're not well is not going to make her better. Understand. We need to make this work for everyone."

"Oh Wyn, I'm sorry. It's just I've not felt like this before. Don't know if it's love, or homesickness."

"Waverly, you need to rest. What we do is physically exhausting. Look at papa, look how tired he was before he stopped performing. I can't do this on my own. I need you to be well for me."

Waverly hugged Wynonna. "I love you. And, N."

Nicole stood watching the sisters' interaction, unable to make out what they were saying, each speaking too fast, with too many words for her to be able to understand. Seeing them hug she hoped they had found out what was wrong with Waverly. Her voice made both sisters jump. "She needs to rest."

Wynonna exaggerated a nod, shouting her response. "Yes N, she needs to rest."

"Wyn, stop it," Waverly rebuked. "You are so naughty sometimes."

Wynonna nodded, shouting at Waverly. "Yes, I know. Now, go lay down please for everyone's sake."

Waverly did as she was told leaving Wynonna and Nicole together with the horses. Wynonna looked at Nicole, Nicole looked at Wynonna, neither knowing how to make conversation with the other. Nicole smiled, Wynonna continued to stare, finally finding the words she most wanted to say. "N, you better be worth all this trouble."

"She ain't trouble. I love her."

Wynonna rolled her eyes. "Go rest. I will sort out the horses."