Chapter 36 - Green Dress

Wynonna was coming to stay. She had sent a postcard addressed to: The Big House with Bacon, c/o Howton Hall, Howton Conquest. Waverly was beside herself with excitement, getting Doris to check on their bacon supply, getting the butler to check the cellar for Wynonna's favourite whiskey, making Nicole have a bath. She sat on the edge gazing at Nicole's body as she soaked, her legs too long to stretch out.

Waverly's words tumbled out. "I'll have to show her the cardigans aunty is knitting. And, the boots. Do you think she's staying long? I hope she's staying for at least a few days. That would be fun. I can't wait to see her. Do you think I could get a new dress? I'll bake her cake. That's it, I'll bake her one of my special cakes. And, she hasn't met Robin."

Nicole closed her eyes, accepting Waverly would be like this until Wynonna arrived. "N, what do you think?"

"About what?"

"About Wynonna coming to stay. You don't seem very pleased?"

"I am pleased. I be thinking I needs to eat a lot of bacon before she comes."

A wet sponge hit her on the shoulder. "You're not eating any bacon. It's for Wyn. Do you think Daisy might like a new dress? We could go shopping together. You could come with us."

"Ain't getting in no dress. I be having trousers. They be enough."

"No, silly. Daisy and I will have dresses. Do you think there's a shop that sells baby clothes? And, a pram. And, we need a crib. And, blankets. And, dolls, lots of dolls."

"What if it be a boy?"

"I'm sure it's a girl. I've set my heart on a girl. If it's a boy I will dress him in girl's clothes."

"When is she coming?"

"Four days. Oh N, I miss her so much. Do you think she misses me? I'm sure she does. She would never say. I bet she does miss me. You'd miss me if I wasn't here, wouldn't you."

Nicole was lost in her own thoughts. "N, would you miss me if I wasn't here?"

"No. What? Going where?"

Waverly retrieved the soggy sponge from the bath hitting Nicole in the face. "Ouch. I be going to the farms tomorrow. I can get more bacon."

"Would you. And, perhaps we need more whiskey. I'm so excited."

Nicole's visits to the three farms she owned were more successful than her visit to the mine. Constance acquired another two close to the estate on her return to England. The farm Alice had purchased while in India was the largest, the others smaller, but profitable nonetheless. Aunty accompanied them, needing a day out to take her mind off her aching bones. She looked so much better for her time at Howton, Nicole noticing a new spring in her step.

The trip to town was planned for the next day. The market was busy as usual, Daisy's friend spotting her, waving, not sure whether to approach. Daisy made the first move, the two catching up on all their news. She returned, whispering to Waverly what the clowns had done to her man. They headed to the most expensive dress shop. Waverly tried on several dresses, asking Nicole's opinion, getting blank looks, eventually turning to Daisy to get her opinion.

"The green dress really suits you. It's a perfect colour and soft at the front. Hides your bump."

"Do you think? I do like it. N, what do you think, the green, or the blue?"

"The blue," Nicole replied, seeing the look in Waverly's eyes. "The green. Definitely the green."

"The green it is. Right, Daisy you need to try on dresses. Shall we pick a few?"