Chapter 12 - Say What

The doctor arrived. Young, too young aunty believed to be any good, certainly too young to be treating her precious N. Dolls said he came highly recommended by the town folk, reassuring her N would get the best treatment available. The doctor checked the wound on Nicole's knee first, agreeing it was bad, but in his opinion did not need to be stitched, applying a salve, bandaging it. He listened to her lungs, possibly bronchitis, although could not rule out pneumonia, prescribing a cough syrup and a restorative tonic.

This was all he could do in a time before antibiotics. He failed to notice she was chilled to the bone. The actions of her circus family saved her life that day. Finding her when they did, laying her on hay, covering her with a blanket, bringing her to aunty's warm wagon, making her drink the hot toddy. They looked after one of their own.

Dolls paid the doctor two shillings for his time, telling aunty he would go to the chemist immediately for N's medicine. A proud man, not one to show his softer side, he had grown fond of N, had come to rely on her, someone who never questioned him, never said a cheeky word, looked up to him. An unlikely, yet endearing friendship in their own small world of misfits.

He returned an hour later, delivering the items to aunty, telling her he needed to get ready for the matinee performance. He would get someone to run the sweet stall for her. Aunty sat beside N, gazing at her face, brushing her hair back. "We be alright now, my lovely. Don't you go running off again, mind. Gave me such a fright. I near drowned in rum worrying about you. Don't you go a worrying your head about no girl, neither. If that's who you love, that's who you love. Now rest, I be taking care of you again my child."

Aunty administered the cough syrup at regular intervals as prescribed. It certainly was doing the trick, her cough easing, her breathing less laboured. Mrs Winslow's Soothing Syrup, prescribed to children as the most effective cough suppressant available, now with a new ingredient. Heroin, advertised as the non-addictive substitute for morphine. Nicole slept soundly for forty-eight hours.

Waverly made frequent visits, talking with aunty, eating more of her cake. She would look over at her N, hoping she was getting better, still feeling guilty she had caused her to run away. Aunty filled her cup once more. One could never have enough tea, her answer to all of life's problems. Or rum.

Another show to perform, she promised to be back later, aunty pulling her into a hug, telling her she was glad N had found someone like her. She made her way to the stables to sort out the horses having taken over N's chores. Caspian was restless, he wanted his N, not having seen her in days. She laid her head against his neck. "Caspian, it'll be alright. N's a little poorly. She will be with you soon. You have me and, I promise, I will love you as much as N loves you. I got you a sugar lump. See."

She held out her hand, Caspian sniffing it, turning his head away. "I can give it Ferdi if you don't want it." His head shot round taking the lump from her hand. "There. I know you. N is lucky to have you."

Nicole opened her eyes, looking around, unsure where she was. Attempting to sit up, she hit her head off the cabinet above the bed, the thud waking aunty who had dozed off at the small table, while cutting bread. Feeling better than she had in a long while, her lungs no longer hurt as they had, the pain in her knee gone.

Aunty attempted to stand, a bad back and a night on a cold floor not beneficial at her age. "You alright N? I be there in a moment. Rest."

"I needs feed Caspian and the other horses."

"Waverly is doing that. You lays still, I'll put a brew on for us. Oh, my aching bones. May need a spoon of that syrup you takes."

Nicole was already attempting to get up, her body weak, her knee weaker. She knew as soon as she put weight on it she would not be able to stand. "Got to get to the horses. Where's me clothes?"