Chapter 38 - N's Journey

Waverly sat drawing circles on Nicole's palm. "N, find me. Please, please find me. I can't go on without you."

Nicole stirred, the first time in twelve hours, coughing uncontrollably, her eyes opening wide. "N, it's me. I'm here."

She went to sit up, the effort too much, her right hand reaching for her shoulder. She tried to speak, her mouth moving, no sound coming other than a croak. Waverly brushed the hair away from her face. "I could have lost you. And, you went in to save ruddy horses. N, you're too important to everyone for ruddy horses."

Waverly felt the squeeze on her hand. Nicole was smiling. She had everything she needed right there. No circus, no big house, no horse compared to her beloved Waverly. She motioned with her hand for Waverly to get her paper and a pen. She returned a few minutes later with the items borrowed from one of the nurses. Nicole proceeded to write, her ability to hold a pen needed some work, her ability to convey what was in her heart had been mastered.

The note simply read: I stayed alive for you.

It took several weeks for Nicole to recover. Her elevated position in life and her money securing the best treatment. Waverly made a huge fuss on her return to Howton, not allowing her anywhere near the stables, making her spend most of the day in bed, she by her side reading to her.

The love between Waverly and Nicole only deepened as they approached the birth of the child. Waverly had felt restless for most of the day, unable to get comfortable, finding little pleasure in anything. Nicole annoyed her more than usual, which was strange given she had not had a cross word to say against her since the mine rescue.

The pain in her back grew worse, aunty taking Nicole to one side, telling her it might be time, sending Nicole into a panic. The doctor arrived, an argument ensuing between him and aunty, she having delivered enough babies to not need his assistance. He left, instructing Nicole if she needed his help to send for him. Aunty and Daisy sat with Waverly during the first few hours, Nicole too stressed. Constance took her for a walk in the gardens reassuring her all would be well.

The baby arrived seventeen hours later. A beautiful baby girl. So delicate in features. Nicole gazed at her, unable to hold back her emotions, knowing she would be her heir. All she inherited from her mother would be given to this perfect bundle of life. It no longer mattered she had never known her own family. All that mattered was this life, held in the hands of the person she loved most in the world.

A telegram had been sent to Wynonna. She rode as fast as she could to be with her sister and the baby. It was the first time Nicole had seen her cry. She held the baby, trying not to get tears on her, proud to be an aunt. She sat for hours with Waverly in the bedroom, the pair talking the way only sisters can. Wynonna was thinking of leaving the circus, wondering whether to set up a riding school in town. Dolls and her had become close, early days, but he made her happy. Doc and Rosita were heading to America, the prospect of earning big money in a larger travelling circus.

The world was changing. Little did they know in just a few years the world would be at war, that the life of the circus as they had known would fade, that horse acts would become a thing of the past. Change and growth. Change and growth. And decay. Things entering our lives. Things leaving our lives. For now, everyone was blissfully happy. A new child had entered their world. One that would have the best of everything, including the love of two devoted parents.

Nicole sat Alice on her knee, gazing into big green eyes, just like her mother's. "You know, you and me will go riding on Caspian one day, when you're older. He's my best friend, but don't tell your mother. I have so many adventures for us."