Chapter 32 - Daisy Chain

Aunty's wagon hitched to Ferdinand, they set off for Howton Hall, Nicole forgetting all about pulling the pegs for Dolls. Another time perhaps. Her priority was Daisy, to get her to the house, to send for the doctor. She rode behind on Caspian, worried about Daisy's wrist, the cut on her lower lip was deep, the blue-green colouring around her left eye significant. She was glad Daisy was coming back with them, Waverly being right the circus was no place for those not able to work. Dolls had told her not to return until she was fully mended. She was grateful for all the support being shown by those who had cared for Nicole, yet felt uneasy about accepting too much from them. She was not used to this level of kindness, assuming most in life cared little for her.

She could not believe her eyes as the wagon pulled onto the oak-lined path leading to the house. Sitting up front with Waverly, her mouth fell open as Howton Hall came into view, unable to tear her eyes from it. "It can't be...is this where you live?"

"N would never have known about it if not for you. It has twelve bedrooms, and a library. Aunty lives here with us and Connie. And, there's staff. And, stables. N, loves the stables more than the house I think."

"But, it's huge. I had no idea. I'm so glad I told her about the letter."

"We have a lot to thank you for. Not sure N's all that happy to be here. It's different from the circus. We're both coming to terms with the change."

"Can imagine. This really is something. Will you miss the circus?"

"Of course. Well, my sister mostly. It's the first time I've been away from her. She pretends she's not upset, but I know she's putting on a brave face."

"Will you ever go back?"

"I'm thinking about it. Wyn says it would be hard performing and looking after the baby. N would love to go back. She misses her old work. We'll see."

"I could look after the child for you. I mean, if I ended up working there."

Waverly looked at Daisy. She hardly knew her, had been jealous of her, but here they were, sitting side by side, heading towards Nicole's house discussing how she might look after her child.

Aunty was outside waving as they approached. "There's my beauty. I be telling Connie about me ornaments. She be clearing a shelf in the drawing room for them. Oh my, what happened to you?"

Daisy got down from the wagon, holding her wrist. "Hello again. It's nothing. My fault for opening my mouth. Nicole and Waverly have kindly said I can stay for a few days."

"My lovely, stay as long as you like. Plenty of rooms. That eye looks nasty, let me see if there's steak to put on it."

Aunty guided Daisy into the house, leaving Waverly and Nicole to take the horses to the stables. Nicole was silent once more, anxious to get help as quickly as possible. "Be thinking I be riding back to town for the doctor."

"No, it's best you stay here," Waverly instructed. "One of the grooms can go in the carriage."

"I be not liking her arm. It be broken I fears."

"It may well be. The way she's holding it. Oh N, how could someone do that to her?"

"It be in his blood. That's all I be knowing."

"At least she doesn't have to put up with that treatment ever again."

Nicole stroked Caspian, lost in thought, wanting to be by herself for a while. Waverly went to instruct the groom, giving Nicole space. Aunt Constance was on hand assisting aunty, equally shocked at the injuries, shaking her head unable to comprehend such treatment.