Chapter 35 - Learning Counts

Back at Howton, Aunt Constance suggested the pair might want to take a moment to sit in the library and talk through what had happened. Nicole's ability to do a disappearing act was discussed. Waverly's ability to go full 'Italian' was also discussed. Much as they needed to, Daisy was not discussed, both having decided it was something neither wanted to explore in case it ended up in another Waverly outburst, with Nicole running off.

Daisy remained in the house. Nicole still had feelings for her, accepting they were not reciprocated. Waverly understood Nicole had feelings for Daisy, but had found in her a new friend, one who was not a threat. Someone who could tell her about young N.

"She stole a pie once from the governor," Daisy began, as she stirred the cake mixture for Doris. "Right under his big, fat nose. Too busy hitting her to see what she was doing."

"Can imagine N doing that. She said he hurt her ear, has trouble hearing in one."

"He enjoyed it. Could see it on his face."

"How did you survive in such a dreadful place?" Waverly asked.

"Made the best of it. We'd hide in the laundry cupboard, dressing up, pretending to be wealthy. Think that's why the governor hated her. Carried herself different."

"But she wasn't posh, or anything then."

"I don't mean she acted all airs and graces. She just had a way, like the world couldn't get inside."

"She lets so few in. You. Caspian. And, Aunty."

"And, you Waverly. She's let you in."

"Really? Sometimes I feel so close to her. And, then she's gone again."

"Used to disappear on me too. I'd draw circles on her hand with my finger. Told her it was the path back to me."

"That's so sweet. Oh no, my eyes are watering and I've got flour all over my hands."

"Don't you go getting another ingredient in the cake mix," Doris teased.

Constance had finally found a tutor for N. A young man by the name of Mr. Jett, his teaching credentials impeccable, willing to relocate from London for a fee. He came on the highest recommendation from Randolph Nedley, Mr. Jett's services having been used by a number of his wealthy clients, looking to have their spoilt and unruly children educated at home to a standard that allowed them to succeed at the higher level of society they occupied.

Nicole had been informed of Jett's imminent arrival. She was made to sit in the main drawing room, on a hard chair, in front of the four women in her life, each trying in their own way to get her to accept tuition would be beneficial. Uppermost in Nicole's mind was the need for no further learning, other than the ability to read that one book to the baby.

"N, look at me," Waverly's voice softer than usual. "What if Daisy and I take lessons with you? Remember how I guided your hand. Remember when you wrote Caspian for the first time."

"Be knowing enough."

Aunt Constance stepped in to offer guidance. "You are quite right. You have more than enough learning. There are, however, parts of the business I would dearly love your help."

"I be helping if you need me. Be knowing no more than five, mind."

"All is of use," Constance replied.

"Ain't be learning nothing more than I needs. Tells you that now."

Lessons began 9am sharp each morning, with a short break mid-morning, continuing until either Nicole's eyes glazed over, or lunch was served. Daisy was overjoyed to learn how to hold a pen and how to write her own name. Waverly liked to show off, Mr. Jett setting her ever harder maths questions. Nicole would sit eyeing Waverly's work, along with the attention she was receiving from Mr. Jett, he suggesting she call him by his first name, Robin, Nicole glaring at Jett if he so much as leaned over Waverly to look at her work.