Chapter 6 - Building Trust

Waverly sat on her bed while Wynonna prepared breakfast. Wynonna could tell something was on her younger sister's mind. Lost in thought, she played with the yellow wool hair of the rag doll Wynonna had given as a gift on her fifth birthday. As Wynonna explained all those years back, it was on loan. Somehow it never got returned.

"Tell me, or I take the doll back."

"You can't. You gave her to me remember. Mother said you can't take back what is given."

"I can. Anyway, you're too old for that doll."

"So are you. You're not having her. So there."

"Just tell me. Has someone upset you? You're not still pining after that stupid Hardy boy?"

"No one upset me."

"Your face says different. Let me take little dolly from you."

"It's mine. You're horrid. Wait till I write to mother and tell her you stole my doll."

"Here, dolly dolly. Come to mama. I might cut dolly's hair, like your stable friend."

"Right. That's it. Dolly and I are leaving. Forever. Never to return. Aren't we dolly?"

Waverly made the dolly nod its head. "See, dolly agrees."

"It's that stable boy. Bet he's tried it on."

"She. And, no she hasn't tried to kiss me."

"Just as well. What? No. He is a she?"

"Ran away from an orphanage."

"And orphan boy. Sorry, girl. But, he's, she's wearing the wrong clothing."

"It's how she likes to dress. Her name is Nicole. I prefer N. More mysterious."

Wynonna shrugged. "If you say so."

"And, you are not having my dolly."

Wynonna picked up a pair of scissors, opening and closing them slowly. "Snip, snip, snip."

Waverly let out a playful scream, running from the wagon, clutching her adopted doll in her arms. "You'll never get her. She's mine. Forever."

She ran to the only person she knew would help her. Nicole was mucking out the horses when she entered, looking up, wondering why Waverly was out of breath, carrying a doll in her arms.

Waverly panted. "Can you look after Mabel for me? Wynonna wants to cut her hair."

Nicole took the doll, straightening its dress, brushing its hair back. "Is that what sisters do?"

"It's her way of getting me to talk. She dangled Mabel over a bridge once till I told her who I kissed."

Nicole lowered her eyes, remembering her dream, not wanting to stare at Waverly's full, inviting lips. She had only known her for a few days and already her life was changing. A shift, a movement towards she knew not what. Drawing her out of hiding. Here she was trusted by Waverly to look after Mabel and her horses, trusted by Doc to get him that drink with Wynonna.

"Did you ask Wynonna about Doc?"

"Oh no. Sorry, completely forgot. I'll ask her later. Little worried if I go back without Mabel she'll cut my hair."

"Would she?"

"Cut my hair? No. Although, I do like your hair..."

"Would she have a drink with Doc?"

"Maybe. I've seen her looking at the ring master."

"Dolls ain't no drinker. Big heart with a bigger stomach aunty says."