Chapter 1: Goodbye old friend.

May 1899

You sit at your desk reading over the words from a long lost friend of sorts Jake Adler. Though there was no animosity between you two life just pulled you in different directions. While you joined the Pinkerton's eventually leaving and joining the US Marshal's a more respectable profession Jake opted to pave his own way on the frontier. There were days when work was slow that you often wondered what happened to him, had he built a home? Found a wife and had a family? Things you would have loved to ask him however you didn't know how to or if you should even reach out. You knew as well as anyone the west was still untamed, you've seen it on many of your missions for all you know jake had fallen in with outlaws or hell he may have even passed away.

But that all changed one day. You were in Blackwater investigating a robbery on a riverboat, well it was more of a massacre than a robbery you admitted to yourself. While sitting at your desk in the Blackwater jail the chief of police approached you with an envelope in his hand. He passed it to you, opening it you found a letter that read.

To (Y/N) US Marshal

" Hello old friend it's been a while hasn't it. Last time we talked you were running off to join the Pinkerton detective agency though I never understood why you would want to fall in with that bunch I never understood, truth be told I hold them in no higher regard than any of those gangs that are running around. You can imagine my relief in discovering you quit the Pinkerton's and joined the Marshal's! Now you have a career you can be proud of. I was glad I was able to track you down as you move around a lot, I just wish we could have seen each other more often of these past few years but anyway that's here nor there. You will be pleased to know I have built that farm I always dreamed of and I even found the woman of my dreams, her name is Sadie and she is the most precious thing in the world to me. Which leads me to my reason for reaching out, in order to purchase my Ranch I had to borrow money from some not so nice people, the O'Driscolls you've no doubt heard of them, they let me the money with the understand i would repay them once the crops came in and I sold them well the winter was harsher than expected and our crops haven't grown, I fear they will pay me a visit looking for their money and when they don't get it... well I hate to think about it. Look (Y/N) I know we haven't talked in years and I hate to ask but if you could just come up to the ranch and look around for any signs of O'Driscolls I would be very grateful and in the event the worst happens and I'm not there when you arrive please protect Sadie, she does not know about my dealings with them but I fear what they'll do to her... please just protect her. Now with that said I look forward to your arrival and reminiscing about the old days and i especially look forward to introducing you to sadie. Shes very independent so it's best she remains ignorant of my request to protect her should the worst occur.

Your friend
Jake Adler"

Placing the letter into your vest pocket you stand and walk over to the police chief's desk

(Y/N): Could you point out the quickest way to the adler Ranch ? I need to get there as soon as possible.

Chief: Of course Marshal, just cross the river here and follow the trail up the mountains, you'll come to and old mining to called "Colter" the Adler Ranch is an hours ride east from there. Marshal if you don't mind me asking are you expecting trouble up there?

Deciding it was best not to answer until you know for sure you looked at him shaking your head

(Y/N): No, a childhood friend recently purchased a ranch and has gotten married, I haven't seen him in years so I thought I'd ride out and pay them a visit.

Chief: ah I see, well please offer your friend my congratulations, and be safe the weather up there can be unpredictable.

(Y/N): thank you chief! I'll be leaving now good luck with your investigation.

With that you grabbed your coat and exited the police station. You had a few stops to make before you could travel to the adler ranch namely ammo and food. Once you were stocked up you walked back to the stables and saddled up your trusty horse Bo.

Gently patting the horses neck you offered him a carrot which he gladly accepted. Pulling yourself into the saddle you set off to see your best friend. You two had a lot of catching up to do and you looked forward to every minute of it.