Chapter 10

The next morning you woke early but the camp was already up and going about various tasks. You got dressed minus your hat and badge making your way down the hill you made your way to the coffee pot and poured yourself a cup.

Soon Marybeth, Sadie, and Abigail joined you. You all exchanged good mornings and stood in comfortable silence enjoying your coffee and the morning air. MaryBeth decided to break the silence.

Marybeth: Any plans today Y/N ?

Y/N: not really, I'll help with some of the chores round here before I head into town for work.

Abigail: I don't know what this one will do with herself while you're gone.

She laughed and nudged Sadie which earned her a punch in the arm and a blush from you.

Y/N: I'm sure sadie can survive with out me, she's a big girl.

Sadie simply gave you a nod and a small smile which you returned.

Upon finishing your coffee you excused yourself and made your way over to the wood pile, rolling up your sleeve you pick up the axe and begin chopping. Little did you know you soon had an audience consisting of MaryBeth and Tilly.

Looking up you grinned and greeted simply saying "Ladies". What you didn't see was the annoyed look on Sadie's face directed at the two ladies in front of you.

Placing the axe down you brought the chopped wood to the various fires throughout the camp before walking down to the lake and splashing water on your face to freshen up.

Standing up you went up to your tent to grab your hat and badge before heading into town. You were greeted at your tent by sadie.

Y/N: Sadie is everything ok ?

Sadie turned to face you as you stood there with your hands on your hips.

Sadie: course, Y/N you promise to be honest with me ?

Y/N: course I do.

To yourself you couldn't help but thing oh god where's this going. Your thoughts were interrupted by Sadie.

Sadie: last night, when our hands touched did you feel that spark that I did.

You take a deep breath before meeting her eyes with yours.

Y/N: I did.

Sadie: Jakes the only other person I've felt that with and it scares me that i felt it with you.

Y/N: I'm sorry Sadie, I didnt mean for our hands to touch like that.

Sadie reached down picking up your badge before she approached you and placed it on your chest. She leaned up and whispered in your ear. "I'm not sorry" before she turned and walked away.

She did it again you thought to yourself, how does she always do this to me. Grabbing your hat and saddle you make your way over to Bo, saddling him up you decide to take the long way to town to clear your mind.

"How could this be happening, she just lost her husband a month ago is she developing feelings for me and am I doing the same ?"

Looking to the sky you speak out loud

"Jake i know i made you a promise but the longer i spend with her the harder it is not to get involved beyond keeping that promise"

Before you knew it you were at the sheriff's office opening the door sheriff grey asked if you met the two Pinkerton's.

Y/N: Pinkerton's here ?

Sheriff Grey: apparently the Van Der lind's are around here

Y/N: you don't say ?