Chapter 2: I'm so sorry.

As you rode up into the mountains the weather seemed to be holding to which you were grateful, the sun was shining and it was just cool enough that you needed your coat. As the hours passed you saw a small run dow camp in the distance, approaching you noticed fresh hoof prints and wagon tracks.

"Hmm this is unusual" you though to yourself. Making a mental note to return and investigate after your visit you pulled out your compass checking the direction. Once your had your bearings you continued on.

As you rode along in silence you couldn't help but wonder why would jake want a ranch so far out of the way ? It didn't make sense and it would certainly be something you brought up upon your arrival.

Your thoughts were broken by the sight of smoke just over the hill, your heart started pounding in your chest as you pushed Bo as fast as he could go. Once you came across the fence line your heart sunk, there was the ranch or more accurately what was left of it.

Hitching Bo to the fence you drew your repeated. With the rifle drawn you made your way to the shed, pushing the door open with the barrel you noticed a body on the ground, using your foot to roll him over you were relieved to see it wasn't Jake. However the green band around his hat sent a chill down your spine it was an O'Driscoll.

Once you cleared the barn you made your way back to where the house once stood, "theres no way anyone could survive this" slinging the rifle over your shoulder you walked out of the wreckage that was once a home. Looking around you notice a cross on a hill over looking the property.

Deciding to make your way to the cross your heart sunk when you saw the name etched on the marker.

Jake Adler
1899
Beloved husband

Upon reading the inscription your heart broke crumbling to your knees with tears running down your cheeks you place a hand on the cross you speak softly.

"I'm so sorry I didn't get here in time I'll regret the time we lost for the rest of my life. I will miss all of the conversations we had and I will regret not being able to tell you I forgive you for losing contact, as I hoped you would forgive me. But Jake I made you a promise and I fully intend to keep it. I will find sadie and I will find the people who did this, you have my word."

Standing but keeping one hand on the grave marker you send up a silent prayer. Once finished you look and the marker one more time before saying "goodbye old friend"

Wiping your eyes you walk back to Bo, mounting your trusty horse you decide to make your way back to Colter. You think to yourself maybe those tracks are a clue and to be honest it's all you have to go on.

By the time you get back to Colter the sun had started to set, you decide that it would be best to spend the night and continue tracking at first light. After setting Bo up in the barn for the night you enter the main building upon entering you notice that its unusually warm for an place that was supposed to be abandoned, you walk further into the building before you notice blood on the floor.

"Hmm it would seem someone had a rough time"
The blood was basically dry at this point so whoever was here before you must have had someone to patch them up.

As you set up your bed roll next to the fire place your mind wanders to jake, what if you had kept in touch, what if you'd have left sooner, what happened to Sadie? These thoughts played over and over in your head until you eventually fell asleep.

The next morning after making your coffee and a quick breakfast you pack up your things and leave to saddle Bo. Thankfully the weather held and the tracks are still visible.

Once Bo is saddled you start to follow the tracks. You notice how deep the wagon tracks were which means they were carrying a heavy load. You begin to wonder who exactly your tracking. Were they settlers, outlaws, or just minors? Giving your head a shake you refocus on the task at hand.

After about an hour you were finally out of the snow, "great this just got a lot harder" you think to yourself. As you keep riding you eventually find yourself in a town called strawberry, you decide to walk to the sheriff's office and see if any wagon convoys have passed through.

Knocking in the door a voice from the other side called out

"Who goes there"

"Who goes there" you think to yourself, does this guy think we're back in ye days of ole.

You call out: (Y/N) US Marshal

The door opened slightly and a man peaked through the door noticing your badge he opened the door fully.

Deputy: Sorry Marshal we've been on edge since yesterday.

Looking around you see the building riddled with bullet holes.

(Y/N): jesus what happened here ?

Deputy: we had a jail brake. We had Micah Bell locked up when one of the van der linds broke him out.

The mention of the van der linds sent a chill down your spine.

(Y/N): did you see which way they took off ?

Deputy: they rode east last I saw.

You pull out a map and place it on the deputies desk and look it over.

(Y/N): the only town east of here is Valentine right?

Deputy: Yes sir, Valentine and Emerald Ranch.

(Y/N): of you were an outlaw gang which one would you run to ?

You look at the deputy waiting for an answer. A few minutes pass before she looks up and replies

Deputy: I would run to Valentine there's enough people that you could blend in but open enough you could hide if you didn't want to be found.

(Y/N): my thoughts exactly.

Placing the map back in your pocket you turn to the deputy and tip your hat.

(Y/N): Well I'm going to ride out for Valentine, good luck deputy I hope the town recovers from this massacre.

You hold your hand out and the deputy shakes it. With that you mount Bo taking a deep breath you nudge him forward and begin the journey ahead.