Chapter3: Valentine.

By mid day you arrive in Valentine, the town its self seemed nice enough. Looking around there were lots of hard working people and judging by the smell livestock was what kept the town alive.

Hitching Bo outside the hotel you enter and are greeted by the hotel manager.

Manager: hello sir how can I help you today?

(Y/N): I'm looking for a room if there's any available, and I'm in need of a bath.

Manager: you're in luck we do have a room available, how long will you be staying ?

(Y/N): I'm not sure to be honest I'm here on official business, so it all depends on how long my investigation keeps me here.

Manager: I'll put you down as indefinitely, as a Lawman I suspect the government will be fitting the bill ?

(Y/N): Yes sir, though I don't expect to be here more than a few day's.

Manager: Very well, heres your room key once you bring your things to your room your bath will be waiting.

You nod and step out to grab your things. Looking around the town you notice the local sheriff acting strange. You make a mental note to check that out after your bath and a meal.

After bringing your things to your room you plop down on the bed, reaching into your pocket you pull out Jake's note you re read it. You focus on the name O'Driscoll's, you're certain you've had run in's with them before but then again you've had run in's with plenty of people, placing the note back in your pocket you walk down stairs to take your bath.

After you bathe and get dressed you step out onto the boardwalk looking around again you place the badge back on your coat and fasten the first few buttons, making your way to the saloon you enter noticing the broken chairs tables and window.

(Y/N): Jesus what happened in here ?

Bartender: nothing nice I'm afraid.

(Y/N): No shit, I can see that. Do you have any idea who the people were ?

Bartender: Unfortunately Marshal many new people come through daily.

(Y/N): well did you notice anything about the ones that did this ?

You question grabbing a napkin and pen to write notes.

Bartender: well there were 4 of them they all seemed to know each other, one was a fat guy with a beard, another fella was native one was mexican and the other was white. Oh that reminds me!

The bartender bent down to pick something up.

Bartender: The white man left his hat.

You take that hat looking at it. It looks familiar but you can't quite place it.

(Y/N): I'll take that for evidence. In the mean time is the kitchen still open I'm starving.

Bartender: Of course what can I get you ?

(Y/N): the beef stew and a water please.

Bartender: coming right up!

A few minutes later you're enjoying your meal, you take the hat and place it in your saddle bag before turning and walking towards the Sheriff's office.

Opening the door you see a woman sitting on the Sheriff's desk and the sheriff in front of her mid kiss. You slam the door to get his attention.

The sheriff and the woman jump at the sound.

Sheriff: Who the Hell are you and what do you want.

(Y/N): well my friends call me y/n, but you can call me Marshal.

You say pointing to your badge.

The color drains for the Sheriff's face as he looks to the woman.

(Y/N): if you would excuse us ma'am I have some business to discuss with the sheriff here.

She nods walking to the door she nods and simply says "sheriff, Marshal" before exiting. Your eyes go back to the sheriff and you just shake your head.

(Y/N) I'm not even going to ask and frankly I don't want to know.

Sheriff: of course how can I be of assistance.

(Y/N): I'm on the trail of the O'Driscoll's I know the used to operate down this way..

Before you could finish the sheriff states

Sheriff: they still do just in a reduced capacity, they come through a few times a month usually waiting at the entrances and exits of the town.

(Y/N): any ideas where they're camped out ?

Sheriff: rumors say just outside of Emerald Ranch.

(Y/N): thank you Sheriff, and by the way you may want to limit your interactions with that woman in case her husband finds out. I noticed she has a ring but you don't, good day.

With that you step out of the Sheriff's office shaking your head, you walk to the store to stock up on supplies. Once you pay you walk to your horse and begin to make your way to Emerald Ranch. As you're riding up main street you hear a familiar voice call your name.

Woman: Y/N!!!

You turn in the saddle.

(Y/N) Mary?

Stepping down off your horse you make your way over to her where she promptly hugs you. You return the hug one handed since you're still holding on to Bo's reigns.

Mary: Y/N, I'm so glad I've run into you!

(Y/N) why what's wrong ?

Mary: Its Arthur...

(Y/N) Arthur.. he's here ?

Mary: I'm not sure I saw him a few days ago he told me he was just passing through, Y/N I'm afraid something happened to him, he looked like we was thrown off a cliff when I saw him.

"Or in a bar fight" you say under your breath.

Mary: did you say something ?

(Y/N) No, but mary I'm confused why are you so concerned about him. From what I recall you made it clear you wanted Nothing to do with him.

Mary just hung her head tears started sliding down her cheeks.

Mary: I know I treated him awful

(Y/N) you think ? Mary I'd never seen him that bad before, you were the only thing keeping him on the right path, well you and Hosea. Once you left well last I heard he fell back into the gang full time.

Mary: I know, i know, and you have to believe me i tried to tell him that but he wouldn't hear it.

(Y/N) well can you honestly blame him ? You broke his heart, some wounds just don't heal.

Mary: Maybe you could talk to him.

(Y/N) and how do you think is should go about doing that ? First off I haven't seen him since you left him all those years ago, secondly I'm hunting down the O'Driscolls I can't be running around between you two, I'm sorry but if you want to fix things it's got to be done between the two of you.

Mary: I understand Y/N, it was good to see you again, be safe Marshal.

You turn and mount Bo.

(Y/N) take care Mary and good luck I hope things work out for you.

With that you tip your hat and continue on your way. Once out of town you think to yourself "great not only are the O'Driscolls around so are the Van Der Linds. This is going to be bad".