Chapter 4: Hello again Mr. Callahan

After your run in with Mary it got you thinking about Arthur how had he been what has he been up to? But mostly do you even really want to know ? You have to keep reminding yourself you have two missions the first and most important being find sadie and watch out over her the second being taking down the O'Driscolls.

As you approach what you believe to be Emerald ranch you notice and older man still dressed in winter clothing talking to a man who appeared to be less than reputable, and the conversation seemed to be going anything but well. Deciding it would be best not to have a gun fight in the middle of a busy ranch you decide to intervene.

Y/N: HEY!

Both men turn to look at you as you dismount your horse.

Y/N: What seems to be the issue here gentlemen.

You eye them up immediately recognizing Hosea Matthews. Great you think to yourself the van Der Linds are still around. You hoped that Hosea wouldn't recognize you but you could tell by the look on his face that it was to late and that he had in fact recognized you.

Hosea: No problems here Marshal, I was just talking to an old friend here, isn't that right sheamus?

Sheamus: that's right, there's no problem here.

You stand with your arms crossed looking between the two. You turn to shamus and nodding your head at him hinting that he should take a walk. As he leaves you turn to Hosea.

Y/N: You ride with me now.

Hosea nods and you both mount your horses. As you leave the ranch he matches your pace.

Hosea: Y/N what are you doing here ?

Y/N: Its good to see you too old man

You and Hosea share a laugh. You always liked Hosea and Arthur for that matter.

Hosea: Well of course it's good to see you, but you'll excuse my surprise having not seen you since..

Y/N: Since I drug Arthur back to you after Mary broke his heart. Yes it has been quite some time.

Hosea: Yes that was a rough few years but he seemed to get over it just fine enough.

Y/N: Well if you want to keep it that way keep him out of Valentine I ran into Mary there on my way to Emerald Ranch.

Hosea: Great what is she doing here now, after all these years.

Y/N: from what I gather the regret had finally caught up to her, that doctor or lawyer or what ever he was that she was married to died. My gut tells me she really misses Arthur but my better judgment tells me it would be best for Arthur if you keep him away from her.

Hosea: Understood.

Hosea looked over at the Badge on your chest.

Hosea: I thought you were a pinkerton but now look at you, you went and made something of yourself Mr. Us Marshal.

Hosea let out a chuckle you just rolled your eyes.

Y/N: I was yes but when I tried to expose the corruption within the agency they stuck me behind a desk so I quit and joined the Marshals now I can do something about it.

Hosea: Well I'm proud of you Y/N you did what was right, not a lot of people have the guts to do that.

A smile creeped it's way across your face.

Y/N: Thank you Hosea, that really means a lot coming from you.

Hosea: well despite being on opposite sides of the law I do like you, Y/N you've always been fair with Arthur and I.

Y/N: Of course, you two did save my life after all.

Hosea: Ah yes the bear attack, now that was a rough few days. We didn't think you'd make it.

Y/N: You're not the only one, I wasn't to sure I'd make it myself. I knew who you two were and I knew you didn't have to save my life but you did and for that I'm eternally grateful.

Hosea simply nods before looking up and speaking again.

Hosea: But Y/N you still haven't told me why you're here.

Y/N: I'm here for two reasons first being I made a promise to an old friend and the second reason is I'm after Colm and his bunch.

Hosea: I don't suppose I know this friend of yours.

Y/N: I doubt it he passed some weeks back I promised him I would look after and protect his wife. Problem is she's missing and I'm looking for her.

Not realizing how long you and Hosea had been riding you notice Valentine in the distance.

Y/N: why don't you come to Valentine with me for supper, it's on me and we can catch up some more.

Hosea: that sounds good, but I'm a wanted man and look at all the Law around.

As you look you notice an unusual amount of lawmen. You look over at Hosea.

You nod and simply tell him "go"

Hosea: it was good seeing you Y/N

Y/N: oh Hosea one more thing.

Hosea turns and you pull Arthur's hat out of your saddle bag.

Y/N: If you could give this back to Arthur I'd be grateful, just don't tell him it was me you got it from.

Hosea: I will, take care Y/N.

With that Hosea truns and dissapeared from view. With that you continue down the hill to town where you're stopped by the deputy you recognize from strawberry.

Deputy: Marshal thank god you made it!

Y/N: Made it ? You question, what happened here ?

Deputy: Pinkertons shot it out with some of the Van Der Linds and local law was caught in the crossfire it's a goddamn bloodbath.

Y/N I see, in going to go search the area nobody and I mean nobody with out a badge gets in here or leaves do you understand ?

Deputy: yes sir perfectly.

Y/N: Good.

With that you tip your hat and ride off.

After a few hours of riding you find yourself track hoof prints by the river when you see a familiar hat just over some bushes...Arthur....