PREVIEW

"Allison, you need to go out and have fun. You have been home with Ryker every day since he was born. You need a break." Her mother announced as she watched her daughter run around the house, chasing a relentless toddler who had stolen her phone.

Her mother had called her by her full name, something she only did when Allie was either in trouble or her mother was being serious. "That's because I'm his mother. Mom, I don't need a break. I'm doing just fine." She told her as she snatched her phone from the child.

"All you do is chase him around. It must drive you nuts, dear. Go out and have a social life for once. I will watch him." Allie knew she wouldn't go out to have a social life.

She would just go to the coffee shop like she did every single day after work before she went to pick up her son from daycare.

Still, she gave it some thought. She really didn't have much of a life. She was twenty-two with a rambunctious toddler and all she did was go to work and come home. She couldn't remember the last time she saw her best friend from high school.

It would be good to see him again. He had dropped out of school one day in the middle of class to be a drummer for a guy she didn't even know. She only listened to his music for JP.

"Okay, fine. I will go call JP." She threw her hands up in defense and ran up the stairs to her room before her mother could give her another lecture.

She unlocked her phone and went to find his contact before hitting the call button and holding it to her ear as she fell back onto her bed.

"Hey, Allie." He answered the phone in a happy tone, like he always did when she called. She had missed the sound of his voice. It had been a few years since she had heard it.

"Where are you right now?" She asked, hoping that he was close by and not off touring somewhere far away. If he was then her whole plan would be ruined.

"Uh, I'm in Cleveland at the momenet. Why?" She felt a huge weight lifted from her shoulders when she realized that he wasn't too far away.

"Because I wanna see you. It's been years, John." He hated when she called him that, she was the only one that ever did. He should have never told her his real name.

"Okay. I'll text you our address. I'm at my homies house." She wondered who this 'homie' was, if it was the guy he drummed for or if it was someone else they went to school with.

When the call ended, it took only a minute for her to get a text from him containing his location. She quickly slid into her shoes and grabbed her keys before she went back downstairs to find Ryker sitting on the couch, watching cartoons with his grandma.

"Okay, I'm going to see JP. I'll be back later. Call me if you have any problems and I will come home." She ignored her mothers eye roll before she stepped over to her son and kissed him on the top of his head. "Bye. I love you, baby."

"Bye, mama." He told her, a wide grin on his lips as he watched his mama walk over to the front door and step out onto the front porch.

When she arrived at the house the gps took her to, her eyes widened as she stared at it in disbelief. His homie must have been the guy he drummed for because this house looked more like a mansion.

She pulled up to the front gate and turned her attention to the speaker sticking out of the ground. She leaned out the drivers side window and pushed the red button, waiting only a few moments before a familiar voice rang through it.

"If you're not Allie then fuck off." She couldn't help but laugh at the rudeness in his tone. He didn't like very many people, he had been that way since she met him. She pressed the red button again.

"Thank God I'm Allie then. Open the fucking gate." She heard a loud buzzing sound before she watched the gate begin to slowly open. She thought the whole gate thing made it seem like a prison. It was a bit much.

She drove up the long driveway and was met by Rook standing in the middle of it, waving his arms in the air with a bright smile on his face. He looked completely different than she remembered.

He was covered in tattoos, his hair was longer and more shaggy than it was in high school. He was shirtless in a pair of faded jeans and had a pair of brown sunglasses on his nose.

Once she parked and climbed out of the car, he came over and pulled her in for a bear hug. "God, you smell like weed. Same old John." She flashed a small smirk as she returned the hug before he pulled away and narrowed his eyes at her.

"Do not start calling me that again." He brought the blunt he was holding to his lips and took a big hit before he turned around when the front door opened, a tall, blonde stepping out into the sunshine.

"Hey, Rook. I just rolled a fat ass blunt." Allie tore her eyes away from the blonde and looked over at Rook with an amused smile.

"Who the fuck is Rook?" She lowered her gaze to the tattoo of a rook chess piece on his neck, realization coming to her. "Oh, now I get it." Rook only laughed and reached up to motion for the blonde to come over to them.

Colson stepped off the rather large porch and made his way across down the driveway to where they were standing, his eyes automatically landing on Allie.

He thought she was absolutely immaculate, raven colored hair, emerald eyes, and dimples when she smiled at him. She had no makeup on whatsoever, something he loved.

He took notice of the light freckles she had scattered underneath her eyes and felt his heart skip a beat just from the sight of her. "Allie, this is Colson. He's the guy I drum for. Colson, this is my high school best friend, Allie."

Her hand was super soft when she reached out to shake his rough one, too many calluses from years of playing guitar. "It's nice to meet you, Colson. Even if you took John away from me."

Colson fell into a fit of laughter when he heard her call Rook by his government name, his attention falling onto the boy. "John." He couldn't stop laughing which annoyed Rook to no end.

"Ignore her. She's lost her fucking mind." Rook shot her another glare before Colson lead the two of them into the house.