put on your yarmulke

drabbles about james and the potter family being jewish!! enjoy.
i love the idea of the potters being jewish with my whole heart and soul.
word count: 1594

"Hi, Mrs. Potter!" Remus had arrived to James's house for holiday break. He loved going over to his house, for it always smelled like something amazing his wonderful mother was making, usually something sweet.
"Remus, is Euphemina. You know this. Come in the house, don't stand in the freezing cold!" She motioned for him to enter the home.
He walked inside and shut the front door behind him. Euphemina wrapped him up in a firm hug. She loved her boys.
"Honey, you're thin! We need to get some food in you! Come sit at the counter. I have a bunch of leftovers and fresh challahs in the oven." If there was one thing a jewish mother was known for, it would be feeding everyone and making sure everyone is fed, always. Until they are completely full.
"Oh, no thank you, Euphemina. I can wait until dinner." Remus wasn't one to eat much, especially when it wasn't convenient for other people.
"Wow, Remus." Said a voice behind him. It was Sirius Black, who had been living with the Potters for a year.
"What?" Remus rolled his eyes, anticipating several responses.
"I can't believe you have the strength to turn down Euphemina Potters famous challah." He chuckled.
"I only can because I smell babka and I need my appetite." He smiled at Sirius, pointing to the chocolate babka in the oven.
"That's my boy." She smiled at Remus.

"Hey, James. What's the candle thing that we did at your house?" Sirius asked, seemingly out of the blue.
"Hanukkah? With the menorah?" James guessed. Sirius had done many things with the Potters.
"No. I know what a menorah is. And a chanukiah." Sirius responded, offended that James didn't think he knew what a menorah was.
"Quick question. How do you spell Hanukkah?" Marlene asked from further down the breakfast table.
"Guess how you think it's spelled, and that's probably one of the spellings." Hanukkah (or Chanukah or Hanukah or Chanukkah) was one of those words that's spelled a hundred different ways.
"James, the candle thing. With the wine." Sirius tried to get James back on topic. This was a pressing matter to him.

"Shabbat? We don't light Shabbat candles." James was throughly confused.

"Why does your religion have so many candles? The one with the spices." Sirius exclaimed.

"Ohh, I want pumpkin spice tea." Remus got up, having got the spice idea from James and Sirius's conversation.

"Havdallah? The thing at the end of the week?" James asked.

"Yes!" Sirius yelled. Finally, James read his mind.

"How is that relevant?" James was still pretty confused.

"The tune to the song you sing is stuck in my head." Sirius finally explained.

"I went through all of that for you to tell me the havdallah prayers are stuck in your head?"

——
"Hi, honey. I got you something. Well, your mother and I did." Lily arrived at the apartment the two owned, holding a flat, white box.

"What is it?" James asked. Both Lily and his mother were great gift givers, but they rarely teamed up on things.

Lily sat beside her fiancé on their couch and pulled out a large piece of white patchwork fabric. Pieces of intricate lace, satin, chiffon, organza. Each different material a different shade of white.

"Babe, what is this?" The huge rectangle was undoubtedly beautiful, but he had no clue what it was.

"It's our chuppah!" Lily exclaimed. She wasn't raised with religion, but was very excited to learn more about and include jewish tradition in their wedding, and in her life.