all too well

ship: jily
word count: 2044
-

Lily Evans was obsessed with Taylor Swift. She had seen her in concert a total of 4 times, owns all of her albums on vinyl, had a whole collection of memorabilia, the whole nine yards.
It goes without saying November 12th was a day she was very excited for.

"I'm upset." Lily said to her best friend, Marlene.

"Why now, Lils?" Marlene responded. Lily would feign upset over stupid things sometimes, because it was funny, so Marlene wasn't taking it very seriously.

"I need a boyfriend. Not someone I actually like though. I just need to date him until Red (Taylor's Version) comes out so then we can break up and I can experience the 10 minute All Too Well to its full potential." This sounded like a joke, but they all knew she was dead serious.

"Yeah, Dorcas and I will probably break up for a day to enjoy it properly." Of course Lily wouldn't be friends with people who didn't take Taylor as seriously as she did. Marlene and her girlfriend Dorcas, another one of Lily's best friends, would never break up seriously, but they definitely would for this.

"This is exactly what I need. I need someone who likes me who will date me for the next four days and then we'll have a horrible breakup so we can cry fully clothed in the shower." Lily pointed out, falling back on Marlenes bed next to her.

"If only there was a boy in school who is head over heels in love with you who will definitely go out with you for four days and not even care that it's because you want to listen to Taylor Swifts new album." Marlene sarcastically spitballed.

The boy she was referring to was weirdly enough, totally real and most likely totally down to date Lily for four days leading up to the album release.

His name was James Potter, and he fell in love with Lily seemingly a week into their first year at boarding school, and had been elaborately asking  her out since. He was nothing if not determined. Recently, however, the two had become friends, mostly due to her other best friend Emmeline dating one of James's best friend, and their mutual friend Remus getting sick of having to hang out with them separately.

"Honestly? I could." Lily genuinely considered this.

"Oh my god." Marlene laughed at the idea of Lily actually dating James Potter. 

-
Lily was probably crazy for doing this, but she walked right up to James the next morning at breakfast. Everyone basically knew her plan, and thought it was hilarious. They all knew this wouldn't actually really hurt James, just help him get closure on her, so they let it happen. Lily wouldn't even consider it if she thought it would hurt him or ruin their friendship. Oddly enough, after years of rejecting him, she quite liked his company and actually valued their friendship.

"Hey James, wanna date?" She said casually, sitting down at the breakfast table across from him.

James sat there for a moment, mouth ajar, eyes wide. He was so confused. She thought for a moment that she had broke him.

"I'm sorry, I should be waking up about now." He said, shaking his head and pretending to reach for an alarm clock.

"Did you finally fall for the charms of James Potter?" He winked at her, leaning back in his seat a little bit. He looked cute for a moment, before he remembered his seat was a bench and had no back, causing him to fall off the bench and fall on the floor.

"Oh yes, cause you are so suave." She rolled her eyes.

He got up, laughed, whispered "I fell for you.", winked, and resumed the conversation.