i'll be home for christmas

ship: jily
word count: 1898
-

"Are you sure you want to do this? They are really weird."

Lily and James stood in front of the door of her childhood home, feet sinking into the cheesy welcome mat that, of course, matched the wreath on the door.

It was the night of Christmas Day. Lily always had dinner with her family, a big Christmas meal her mother slaved over for hours.

James always ate Chinese food with his parents and Sirius.

"They can't be as weird as you." James playfully nudged his nervous girlfriend. He didn't know why she was so nervous for him to meet her parents. Parents always loved him. He's such a gentleman!

"No, they're crazy." She wasn't having it with his sly comments and his cute smirk. Usually, that smirk was the death of her, but she was too preoccupied thinking about what her parents would say about her half black, Jewish, wizard boyfriend. She loved her parents, because they were her parents, but they tended to be insensitive and rejected anything different from them.

"Lils, you've met my insane Jewish family. It doesn't get crazier." He tried to reason. Passover Sedar brings out the crazy in any and everyone, especially when 30 people are crammed in one house.

"No, James. My parents are conservative." She eyed him, and he immediately knew what she meant. They definitely would not like James, and would decide that the second they see him.

"I try to get them to open their minds, and keep their shitty comments to themselves, but they just don't listen. This is why I didn't want you to meet them. They will pass judgement and be horrible to you. They never listen when I tell them they're wrong." Lily hated the things her parents thought and said. She tried so hard to change them, but they were too closed minded.

"I'm sorry, but it's important for me to meet my girlfriends parents. I get shit thrown at my face every day, I think we, as a collective, can handle your parents. If they say something bad to me, we'll just take these damn good cookies, and walk right out the door, okay? Or apparate, considering their hatred of wizards." He smiled again, holding up the plate of homemade ginger bread cookies with one hand and grabbing Lily's hand with the other.

She finally mustered up the courage, and knocked on the door.

A few moments later, Mrs. Evans answered the door. She looked exactly like Lily, plus a few wrinkles. She had the same flaming red hair and emerald eyes. They were spitting images of one another.

"Lily! Merry Christmas!" She grabbed her daughter and pulled her into a tight hug.

She let go, and finally got a look at the couple standing there.

"Interesting choice of outfits, dear." Mrs. Evans addressed her daughter once more.

Lily looked down at her outfit. Turtleneck, striped sweater, ripped jeans, doc martens. Ripped jeans. That's her issue. Ripped jeans.

"My outfit is fine, mom." She mumbled, fidgeting uncomfortably with the hem of her sweater.

"Hi, Mrs. Evans. I'm James, Lily's boyfriend. I'm honored to finally meet you." He tried to distract Lily's mother from Lily, seeing how clearly uncomfortable she was.

"Oh! You're James. Lily has told me about you, of course. She hasn't shown any pictures though. I wasnt expecting someone so-" Lily's mother began.

"Mom. Don't." Lily said through gritted teeth. She didn't need the end of that sentence.

"Calm down honey. I was just going to say tall! A little social justice warrior, she is." Lily's mother laughed, clearly lying about the end of the sentence. She invited the couple into the house.