hopelessly devoted to you

word count: 1142
ship: wolfstar
inspiration: a tik tok by @hunterprosper about a man's first love.
muggle au in the late 70's
——————

It was a relatively new thing, video stores.

Home videos had just been invented, so a video store opening right down the street from Sirius's house was incredible luck, or maybe fate. He hadn't quite figured out which one it was yet.

Sirius Black had been working at the video store for a few months. It was his first job, but he knew it would always be his favorite. He had lovely coworkers and he absolutely loved people watching. He quickly learned that you can tell a lot by the movies a person rents.

Sirius had met many people during his shifts at the store, a few regulars had even become his friends. New customers were pretty rare, the city in which he lived wasn't very large. But one day, a boy around his age came in, and Sirius knew for a fact that he was a new customer.

He knew that if he had ever seen someone so beautiful in his life, we would've remembered.

He couldn't help but stare as this boy came into the store, dressed in a cream turtleneck and brown pants. His hair was wild and curly, his eyes wandered across the store. He was tall, much taller than Sirius, and his presence was inviting and warm. Sirius didn't take his eyes off the boy as he made his way around the store, picking up videos.

He reached the check out counter holding three videos about ten minutes later, met by a flushed Sirius with sweaty hands and a racing heart.

The boy locked eyes with Sirius, and he could've combusted in that moment. His eyes were a light brown and it felt as though they were burning a hole into Sirius's head. They were intense and glowing. He swallowed deeply.

"Did you find everything okay?" He asked, voice cracking quite embarrassingly.

"Yes." One word was all Sirius needed to hear before his heart skipped a beat. The strangers voice was deep, smooth, the kind of voice that would narrate a movie or a book. The kind of voice that could lull someone to sleep.

"Great!" The boy behind the counter said, voice unintentionally jumping an octave. He was so smitten, and so terrible at hiding it.

Sirius grabbed the VHS tapes off the counter and rung them up. Now for his favorite part of his job, analyzing the movies the customer picked. Handsome boy had grabbed three movies to rent.

Star Wars: he was nerdy and probably introverted.
Grease: a romantic, soft at heart, if not soft on the outside as well.
Rocky Horror Picture Show: gay. Or something to that effect.

That was enough for Sirius to decide that they were basically soulmates. He didn't know this boys name, but he was already planning their life together.

"That will be $10 please." He cleared his throat.

The boy paid in cash and grabbed his bag to leave.

Sirius had no idea if he would ever see this boy again, but the pain of the thought that this would be their only interaction was too much. So, he mustered every ounce of courage he had and asked a simple question.

"Would you like to watch one of those with me?"

The boy seemed slightly taken aback by the question, but mostly happy.

"I'd love to. I'm Remus." He smiled at the other boy.

"Sounds great. Would you like to come to my house? I live pretty close and I have a television. I'm Sirius." The other boy smiled wider than he knew he could.

They made plans for that coming Saturday, when Sirius's parents wouldn't be home. His parents were extremely conservative, they about passed out when Sirius did so much as wear heeled boots. Needless to say, they either didn't know or completely ignored the fact that their eldest son was gay.

-
That Saturday, Sirius cleaned his bedroom twice, rearranged the couch pillows four times, and checked his watch just about a million.

At one o'clock on the dot, there was a knock at the door.

Sirius opened the door to reveal Remus, dressed similarly to how he was when they first met, with the exception of color. It was quite funny, considering Sirius dressed so differently every day.

"Hi! I brought the videos I rented the other day. Which would you like to watch?" Remus asked, stepping into the large house.

"Whichever you would like." Sirius smiled, closing the brown front door.

They eventually, with a lot of back and forth, decided to watch Grease. Rocky Horror was one of Sirius's all time favorite movies, but he had watched it two days prior.

The boys spread out on the couch beside one another, beginning to watch the movie. Remus sat staring at the television, but Sirius sat staring at Remus. In the moments Sirius looked back at the television to watch the movie, Remus would steal glances of his own. It was a delicate dance, one that got messed up somewhere around the two of them humming along to Hopelessly Devoted To You.

Remus snuck a look to the beautiful boy beside him, unexpectedly met with his gray eyes.

They sat there for a few moments, breathing in sync, just staring into one another's eyes.

Finally, Remus leaned forward and pressed his lips gently on the ones of the boy next to him.

They sat pressed together for a very short while before Sirius began to kiss Remus back. It was gentle at first, the two finding a rhythm of lips and tounge and teeth. The kiss deepened as they kept going, pausing shortly and infrequently to breathe.

When they finally pulled apart, the song had ended and both boys returned their gaze to the television.

They didn't discuss what the kiss meant then. All they did right then was grab ahold of each other's hand and resume watching the movie.

-
Years later, Sirius would decide it was not luck, but definitely fate that made a video store open so close to his house.

Without the store, he wouldn't have his closest friends/former coworkers, his large VHS collection or his pop culture knowledge.

But above all that, without that little video store, Sirius would not have Remus, the love of his life.

a/n
something a little different! usually when i write a muggle au, it's modern, but i wanted to try writing a more time accurate oneshot. this takes place in the late 70's by the way, around the late winter or early spring of 1979. the writing style is a little different to my usual style as well, and this was just a blast to write. i really hope you all enjoyed this short little story of my fave gays in the 70's. have an amazing day or night. love you!
~ brynlee