we keep behind closed doors

"Remus, what the fuck?" James yelled. "Actually, let me rephrase. Who the fuck?"

"Sorry, what are you talking about?" Remus asked dumbly, smirking slightly. Obviously, he knew exactly what, and who, James was talking about.

"The massive hickey on your neck!" Peter yelled from his bed, gesturing wildly.

"It's a bruise. I literally get badly injured every month." Remus shot a look to Sirius, as if to say 'you're welcome for covering for you'.

Sirius was just trying not to laugh. The two promised to keep the relationship a secret, but he was honestly pretty proud of his work. The hickey was gnarly.

"You fell on your neck? Onto someone's lips? I'm not stupid." James said dignifiedly.

"Disagree." Remus stifled laughter, walking away, eyeing Sirius as he left. Sirius was out to James and Peter, but no one else. Remus was only out to his boyfriend. It was too dangerous to tell anyone else.

Remus hoped that would be the end of it, but in that moment, James became hellbent on guessing who he was dating.

"Is it Mary McDonald?" James ran up to Remus in the hallway, startling him.

"No, James. It's not Mary." He rolled his eyes. He would be more annoyed by James's little game, if he didn't know that there was no way he'd ever guess it.

Or so he thought.
-

The two were studying in the library one night, Peter and Sirius at the table next to them.

"Oh Merlin. You didn't tell anyone, you didn't want me to find out, you shoot weird looks back and forth. I know who Remus is dating!" James stood up dramatically.

And for the first time since the hunt began, Remus actually thought there was a chance that he had figured it out.

"You're dating Lily! And honestly, I'm really pissed about that." He was hurt by his best friend dating the girl he was head over heels in love with.

"No, dickhead. I'm not dating Lily." Everyone broke out in laughter. He wasn't going to live that one down. It would be a while before James found out that the "weird looks" were 'bro you're in love with him' and 'shut up i know'.

"Thank Merlin, honestly. I'd never forgive you." James sat back down, determined to figure it out. He was incredibly relieved that they weren't dating.
-

"Babe, he's kind of getting closer." Sirius said when the two were finally alone. They were the only two people in the Gryffindor boys dorm, and Sirius got up and sat in front of Remus, criss cross, knees touching.

"No he's not. He doesn't even know I like guys." Remus laughed, still confident.

"It's a matter of time." They obviously wanted to hold hands in the hall, have reason to gawk at one another, kiss in the morning before breakfast, go to the yule ball together, but they were scared. Being gay was not a popular thing in Hogwarts in the 1970's, especially for a member of the Black family.

"I wish he didn't have to guess. Everyone else gets to be happy in public." Sirius laid back sideways across Remus's bed.

Remus grabbed his hand.

"I know, me too. But I'd rather be with you in secret than have you get disowned and put both of us in an extremely unsafe place." Remus grabbed his hand.

"This sucks. I can't hold this in very well." Sirius laughed.

"What does that mean?"

"You make it literally impossible to be secretive. When you chew on your quill, when you laugh and your face scrunches, when you walk around in your towel after showering, your dumb giant sweaters. All of them make me want to scream that I'm fucking in love with you." Sirius listed.

"Oh honey, those are nothing compared to how I feel when you wear my dumb giant sweaters." They laughed.

The two sat in silence for a moment, holding hands in the empty room.

"If James guesses it, either my sexuality or about you, I won't deny it."

That made Sirius smile so big he thought his mouth would fall off.

All four of the marauders were sitting around a coffee table. It was incredibly late, and they were the only four people in the common room. James was brainstorming about who Remus could be dating. The hickey had even faded by then, but James's persistence had not.

James glanced over at Sirius, who was talking quietly, yet animatedly about how hot this random singer was. And suddenly, it clicked. He could not come up with a single girl in the school that Remus was dating, because he wasn't dating a girl. He was dating a guy.

"You're dating a guy!" He blurted out. James had hoped he could've said it in a more causal, or better way, but the words escaped his lips.

"I can't believe it's taken this long for you to deduce that one." Remus smiled. He always thought coming out would be terrifying, but it wasn't. He felt relief that his friends all knew. He also felt Sirius tap his leg with his knee, as if to say 'you got this.'

"Wait. I'm right?" James said, shocked he actually made any progress on his quest.

"Yes, Jaime boy. I'm gay. Feels good to say that out loud." The weight of the world was off his shoulders.

"I'm proud of you, mate." Peter smiled, happy that Remus trusted them enough to come out, especially considering how long it took him to say he was a werewolf.

"This just opened a whole new world for my investigation." James giggled, swinging an arm around Remus and hugging him.

A few weeks passed, and James had managed to come up with hundreds of guys Remus could be dating, to no avail. He forgot to consider another marauder.

And now there they were, the four boys studying once more in the common room. It was late again. They all had absolutely horrendous sleep schedules.

James moved his arm to write something down, not noticing the ink pot beside him.

He knocked over the small bottle, spilling dark black ink all over the table, and his assignment, the ink seeping into the veins of the parchment.

"Are you fucking serious?!" James said, pissed that all of his hard work had to be redone now.

"You finally figured it out!" Remus yelled in response.

It took a full minute for James to figure out what Remus meant, but as soon as he did, he started screaming. How did he not figure it out? His best friends!

But, in thinking back, he couldn't say he was surprised.

a/n
short little one shot!! this was about 1100 words which isn't terrible, but not super long. i hope you guys enjoyed anyway. ive been in a total wolfstar mood recently, if y'all couldn't tell haha. i have some finished one shots of them I haven't published too. should i? well, anyway, i should probably go to bed. love you all!! please tell me any writing mistakes i make!
~ brynlee