Chapter Sixteen

"What the hell are you doing, Cad?!"

I immediately rushed to my Dad and helped him stand up.

"W-What are you doing here?" Dad asked, stuttering.

Hindi ko sinagot ang tanong ni Dad. I guided him back to his swivel chair and glared at Cad. Mukhang hindi siya apektado na narinig ko ang mga sinabi n'ya, para bang wala siyang pakialam na magkaibigan kami.

"E-Explain this to me because I don't understand why you're doing this, Cad." My voice trembled.

"The world we live in revolves around money, Kiara. I will definitely choose money over my friends and you're not an exception," Cad said in a calm tone. He brushed his tousled hair with his fingers and sighed as if our conversation bores him.

I gritted my teeth and glimpsed at my Dad. Nakatulala lang siya habang nakahawak sa tuhod n'ya, kumirot ang dibdib ko nang makita siya sa gano'ng estado. Huminga na lang ako nang malalim upang pakalmahin ang sarili ko. Tumingin ulit ako kay Cad at naglakad palapit sa kanya. Hinawakan ko ang kamay n'ya at hinila siya palabas ng office ni Dad. Hinila ko siya papuntang meeting room, buti na lang at walang tao ro'n ngayon.

"Cad, if this is a prank or something, I'll kick your ass," I warned him while gritting my teeth.

"You know, Kiara. I have no time for this. Wala na rin naman akong dapat ipaliwanag. What you hear is what you get. You heard us clearly, right? I'm now the major shareholder of NTC, you know what it means. Just convince your father to sell his remaining shares to me... for our friendship's sake, at least." Cad grinned and put his hand inside his pocket.

My vision became blurry as my hands trembled. I bit my lower lip and avoided his gaze. I don't want to believe his words. The Cad I know won't do this to me. He's my friend whom I trust more than anyone... and he knows that. 

"Why are you doing this? I'll try to understand, do you desperately need money or something? I-I will help you, you can borrow money from me. H'wag lang 'tong kompanya. My Dad spent almost all his life making NTC successful as it is now. Please, Cad, I'll hear you out," I mumbled softly.

I froze when Cad chuckled as if it's the most ridiculous thing he'd ever heard. I bit my trembling lower lip and just stared at him, waiting for him to say something... even though I have a feeling that I won't like what he's going to say.

"Kiara, I told you before that you shouldn't trust anyone easily... and that 'anyone' is me. By the way, I have to go now. It's up to you if you still want to hook up with me or not. I really enjoyed the time we spent together." Cad grinned and tapped my shoulder before he left.

Nanghihinang napaupo ako sa malapit na upuan. I honestly don't know what to feel right now. My mixed emotions are uncontrollable that I don't know what to do... I want to shout, I want to cry, I don't know what to do. Cadence is my friend that I trust the most. His words, his actions, everything he does felt sincere that I let myself be fooled.

TAHIMIK KAMING pareho ni Dad. Nakatitig lang ako habang nakatulala siya sa kung saan. I don't know what to say to make him feel better. I want to help him, but I'm not that influential in business world. I'm not confident, I know I can't help him regarding NTC.

"Dad, I'll give my shares to you. I-I know kulang pa 'yon para mahigitan ang kay Mr. Lettiere, pero baka pwede nating kausapin ang ilang shareholders para--"

Naputol ang sasabihin ko nang hawakan ni Dad ang kamay ko. He gave me a small smile and caressed my hand gently.

"It's fine, darling. I'll handle it. You don't have to stress yourself over this. Pinilit ka lang ng Lolo mo na tahakin ang career na 'to, gusto kong maging malaya ka na sa gusto mo... I'm fine, your Dad can handle this." His smile grew wider, but I know he's just forcing himself.