First Rainbow

Summary: The Doctor has a surprise for Elise.

"Where are we goin'?" Elise asked as her father danced around the console.

The Ponds were off doing whatever they did when they were at home and River was at Stormcage, so the Doctor and Elise were on their own.

"To see something new!"

"But everything we see is new!"

The Doctor tapped her nose. "Something new for you."

Elise cocked her head to side, confused. Everything was new to her. She'd only been traveling with the Doctor for about 50 years now. She still had so much to see and learn and whenever they were alone the Doctor tried to teach her something new.

Well, whenever they weren't running for their lives.

The TARDIS landed and the Doctor walked to the doors. "Close your eyes."

Elise frowned at him.

"Close your eyes, Ellie."

Elise finally closed her eyes and she felt the Doctor tying something around her eyes. It was his bowtie. "My eyes are closed!" Elise told him.

The Doctor chuckled. "Just want to make sure you don't peek early." He led her out of the TARDIS and Elise heard the door close.

He put his hands on her shoulders and guided her forward. Elise could feel wind on her face.

The Doctor positioned her and said, "Are you ready?"

Elise nodded.

The Doctor took the bowtie off her head and as soon as Elise's eyes adjusted to the sunlight, she saw a vast canyon. But far in the distance she saw a multi-colored thing. "What is that?" Elise asked, pointing to the object.

The Doctor smiled. "It's called a rainbow." He sat down and invited Elise to sit in his lap.

Elise curled up into his chest and listened as the Doctor talked.

"Legend has it, a very long time ago, the earth was inhabited by horrible people. God was upset with how they were living, so he decided to destroy them with a flood."

Elise gasped in horror.

"But he allowed one of his faithful followers to live along with family. He told him to build an ark..."

"What's an ark?" Elise asked, interrupting like any child would.

"An ark is a big boat. Anyway, he told him to gather his family and two of every kind of animal. Once the ark was built, it started raining and it rained for forty days and forty days. Everyone not on the ark drowned and died."

"That's horrible!"

"But God decided to create something called a rainbow as a promise to not drown everyone again."

Elise frowned. "Is that the end? It's not a very nice story."

"Would you like to hear another one?"

Elise nodded excitedly.

"This one is much more funner. Legend has it that a little creature called a leprechaun guards a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. But you can't take the gold."

"Why not?"

"Because even if you happen to capture him and take a piece of the gold, he'll still disappear with the gold never to be seen again by you."

Elise giggled.

"They're fun stories, but a rainbow is really just light reflecting through air particles. The light splits into the different colors. They happen most frequently when the sun comes out after it rains. Which means, it's just rained here. But the conditions have to be perfect, so rainbows are very rare to see."

Elise looked back at the rainbow. It didn't matter to her that it was really just a weather phenomenon. It was pretty. In the coming years, Elise would see rainbows and think of the Doctor. She would even repeat the stories to her children, but that's another story for another day.

They sat there for a few minutes, listening to the birds and watching the rainbow slowly fade.

The Doctor and Elise went back inside the TARDIS and flew off for the Ponds. When Amy and Rory came in, Elise babbled happily to them about the stories the Doctor had told her.

Amy smiled down at the young Timelord, while Rory looked a little lost.

It made the Doctor laugh.

"Well, you two just had your own little adventure didn't you?" Amy said.

Elise nodded excitedly. Elise grabbed Amy's hand and they walked up to the console.

"So, where to Ponds? All of time and space..." the Doctor said.