Don't Wander Off

SUMMARY: Young Elise wanders off and meets a certain grumpy Scotsman.

A/N - Inspired by a picture sent to me by one of my friends on Tumblr and the subsequent conversation we had.

Amy, Elise, and the Doctor stepped off the TARDIS.

"A market. You've brought us to a market?" Amy asked.

"Not just a market. My favorite market. I came here with my granddaughter once," the Doctor said. He started to walk off.

"Wait. Granddaughter?" Amy called, running after him.

Both of them forgot little Elise by the TARDIS.

Elise didn't know what to do. Should she wait for the Doctor and Amy to realize she was gone? Or try looking for them?

Elise stood there for a moment before she decided. She would try to find them herself. She stepped into the crowded alleyway, her eyes peeled for a redhead or red bowtie.

As she walked around the market, her eyes landed on a TARDIS. She knew it wasn't the one she arrived in, so what was another one doing here?

The Doctor had mentioned he'd been here once before, so maybe it was another version of him.

Elise knocked on the door.

The door swung open.

"What?" the tall, gray haired man snapped. He looked down at her and sighed angrily. He quickly closed the door. "It figures that floppy hair would lose you."

Elise looked up at him.

He had large eyebrows and was much older than her father. He also sounded like Amy. Scottish. "I suppose we should try to find your family. Come along, little one."

Elise smiled. Her father called her the same thing.

The man started walking towards the market and Elise caught up with him. She wrapped her small hand around his.

"No. No hand holding. I'm against hand holding," he said, but didn't pull his hand away.

They walked through the market. They passed many food stalls and Elise could feel herself getting hungry. She tugged on the man's hand.

"What is it now?" he asked her.

Elise pointed to her tummy.

He rolled his eyes. "Right, this is when you didn't speak," he muttered.

Elise furrowed her eyebrows. They hadn't met before. She knew this man must have been another Doctor, but she didn't recognize him.

The man steered them over to a food stall, where he bought her a strange fruit. "You'd better eat that, because I'm not buying you anything else."

Elise glared at him for being so rude, but ate the fruit anyway.

The man and Elise walked for a little longer, before Elise spotted the Doctor and Amy.

"Go on, little one," the man told her.

"Elise!" the Doctor said, rushing forward. He gathered Elise in his arms and picked her up. "I am so sorry."

Elise smiled and placed her hand on his cheek, showing him that she was okay.

"You just had your own little adventure, didn't you little miss?" Amy asked.

Elise nodded and set her head on her father's shoulder as he carried her back to the TARDIS. She saw the older man in the crowd and waved at him.

The man waved back and gave her a small smile. The Twelfth Doctor waited until his former self took off in the TARDIS, before Elise and Bill walked up to him.

They were both eating ice cream.

"Where have you two been?" he asked.

"Exploring like you told us to," Bill told him.

"Did I hear the TARDIS? Did you move her?" Elise asked.

The Doctor debated whether or not he should tell her in encountered a younger version of herself.

He was thankful that his former self had left. He knew he wouldn't have been able to stop Elise if she had seen the man who raised her. She still missed him and the Doctor knew this. He could see it in her bittersweet smile when she brought up Amy and Rory or River.

But if young Elise had met the current Elise, there was no telling what may have happened.

Maybe Elise remembered, but just wasn't saying anything to avoid the awkwardness of having to explain it to Bill.

"Come on you two. We should be getting back before Nardole realizes we're gone."