Mother's Day

Summary: It's Mother's Day, so Elise and her father take River out for the day.

Elise entered the control room, but there were no Ponds. "Dad, where are the Ponds?" she asked. She was pretty sure they were supposed to be picking them up today. She and her father took trips alone every once and a while, but it seemed like they hadn't seen them in a while.

The Doctor looked up from where he was working on the console. He'd been trying to install a new control, but it wouldn't do what he wanted it to. "It's a holiday today. Mother's Day or something. Most people take their mother out to eat and give her presents."

Mother's Day?

"Could...could we celebrate with River?"

The Doctor smiled. "Of course. Just let me call Stormcage." He needed a break anyway.

Elise smiled and ran back to her room. She dug through her drawings and found what she was looking for. She'd finished it weeks ago, but now she had the perfect opportunity to give it her. When she came back in, River was standing in the control room. Elise ran to her and hugged her.

"You seem to grow taller every time I see you."

Elise presented the canvas to her. It was a portrait of River, done in beautiful watercolors. "Happy Mother's Day!"

River smiled and took it from her. "Oh! Thank you, sweetie. I'll put it up in my cell once we get back."

"So, I thought we could go for a picnic," the Doctor said, flipping a lever.

The TARDIS landed roughly and they stepped out. They were in a park and it looked like it was Earth.

The Doctor laid down a blanket and River set down the basket. She pulled out the food, fish fingers and custard for the Doctor or course and macaroni and cheese for Elise, and a bottle of wine for herself.

"Are you not eating?" Elise asked.

"Not hungry right now, sweetie. Now, tell me all about the adventures you've been having."

Elise pulled out her diary and read off some of the adventures they had as they ate. River smiled seeing that her diary looked exactly like hers and the Doctor's.

River may have not been Elise's biological mother, but she was her daughter in every sense of the word.

Soon, it was time for River to return to Stormcage.

They walked River back to her cell. She hung Elise's picture up next to her bed, so she'd see it every morning when she woke up. "Perfect!"

"I wish we didn't have to leave you here," Elise told her. She was used to leaving River, but it never failed to hurt.

River tucked some of her brown hair behind her ear. "I know, sweetie. But we'll be together again soon. I promise." She hugged Elise and said, "Now, keep your father out of trouble."

"Oi!" the Doctor said.

Elise laughed. River winked at Elise.

"I'll try," Elise told her, "Goodnight, mum."

"Goodnight, Elise."

Elise went back inside the TARDIS.

"You know, the more Elise grows, the more she reminds me of you," the Doctor told River.

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

The Doctor smiled and tucked one of River's curls behind her ear. "She's her mother's daughter."

River grabbed him by his jacket lapels and kissed him. The Doctor returned the kiss and River pulled away. "Goodnight, Doctor."

The Doctor cleared his throat and ran a hand through his hair. He straightened his bowtie and said, "Goodnight, Doctor Song." No matter how many times they did that, she still made him feel all flustered. He stepped back into the TARDIS.

Elise was sitting in the jump seat, sketching in her notebook.

"So, shall we jump ahead and get the Ponds?" he asked.

River watched the TARDIS disappear and then sat down on her bed. She reach under it and pulled out her diary. She thumbed through it until she found the entry she was looking for.

A letter was tucked in there, along with a picture.

Dear River,

God, you were right! I know you're probably smirking your pretty little ass off. Knock it off. As soon as I saw his eyes and heard him talk, I knew he was the one for me. He's perfect! But you already knew that huh? We'll be sure to drop by and spend Mother's Day with you, okay? He and dad don't really get along, but what's new? I don't have much time to talk right now, but know that I think about you often. I think you'd really like him. Dad's calling for me, so I've got to go now.

Love,

Elise