Family Outing

Summary: Valerie is the Doctor and Elise's new companion and after a mishap with some flowers, she ends up confessing something to the Doctor.

A/N - This is another "What if...?" It was a request on my Tumblr.

The TARDIS landed and the Doctor opened the doors.

They were in a forest.

"Okay, so not exactly the beach".

Valerie looked over his shoulder. "We can't be far from it".

The Doctor looked down at Elise. "What do you think, Elise? Fancy a walk through the forest?" he asked her.

Elise nodded. "Great!"

The Doctor grabbed the picnic basket and took Elise's hand as they started down the path.

Valerie followed behind them.

The flowers along the path were gorgeous and smelled like something she couldn't quite place.

"Val!" Elise called.

"Coming, love!" Valerie called back. She would pick some of the flowers on the way back and put them in her room.

They finally came to a break in the trees and soil gave way to sand. The beach was completely empty.

"Doctor, are we the only people on this planet?" Valerie asked.

"It was abandoned a millennia ago".

"Can I ask why?"

"I don't quite remember why, but we're safe. I promise".

Usually his promises wouldn't placate her, but she knew he'd never knowingly put Elise in danger. The Doctor chose a spot on the beach and spread out the blanket he'd packed. They sat down and he opened the basket.

The TARDIS had kindly packed all their favorite foods for this picnic. Macaroni and cheese for Elise, fish fingers and custard for the Doctor, and a fruit salad for Valerie.

"Are...are those pears in your salad?" the Doctor asked Valerie.

"Yes. What's wrong with pears?"

Elise stuck out her tongue. "Pears are gross".

Valerie took a bite of her food and found it was still cold. "It's cold!" she said shocked. The walk to the beach hadn't been that short. Her food should have been somewhat warm.

"Of course it is!" the Doctor told her, "This basket is designed to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold".

The three of them ate their lunch quietly. When they were done, the Doctor put all the containers back in the basket while Valerie wiped Elise's face and fingers. After finishing her macaroni and cheese, she'd decided she wanted some of her father's food and gotten custard all over her.

The Doctor watched as his companion interacted with his daughter. Elise had taken to Valerie straight away, unlike with Amy. Valerie often tucked Elise into bed and read her bedtime stories. She got up when Elise had a nightmare or needed something.

"Daddy? Can I go swim now?" Elise asked, snapping the Doctor out of his thoughts.

"Stay where we can see you. I'll have no regenerations today, you hear me?"

Elise nodded and slipped off her dress, revealing the red and white polka dotted swimsuit Valerie had chosen for her. She ran down to the water and started playing.

The Doctor laid down on the blanket and closed his eyes, trusting Valerie to watch Elise for a while.

"Doctor?" Valerie asked.

"Yes?"

"Does...does Elise have a mum?"

The Doctor opened his eyes and looked at her.

She was glowing in the sunlight. Her blonde hair looked almost white.

"It's a long story", he told her. He explained how he came to care for Elise.

"Wow. Such a strong little girl to escape something like that".

"So Elise doesn't really have a mum. She barely sees River and with River jumping in and out of our lives..."

"That's so sad. Every little girl should have a mother".

Elise came over to them and collapsed onto her father's lap.

"Are you tired, little one?" he asked her.

Elise nodded and yawned.

"I guess we should get you back then". He picked her up and Valerie grabbed the basket and blanket. As the Doctor carried Elise back to the TARDIS, Valerie picked some flowers along the way.

They were so odd looking, but so very beautiful.

When she got back to the TARDIS, the Doctor was already disappearing down a corridor to put Elise in her bed. Valerie set the basket on the jump seat and smelled the flowers in her hands.

They smelled like...like custard. Fish fingers and custard to be exact.

Earlier she hadn't been able to pinpoint the smell, but she could now.

"Um, Val? Where did you get those flowers?" the Doctor asked her, entering the control room.

"I picked them. They were just so beautiful!"

"And how do you feel?"

Valerie looked at the Doctor.

The sun had tinted his face pink, including his lips.

"I want to kiss you so badly right now". Valerie's eyes went wide and she covered her mouth with her hand.

"Kiss me? Why would you want to kiss me?" he asked, smirking.

"Because I'm in love with you. Doctor, what's going on?"

He laughed. "The flowers secrete truth serum through the leaves and stems. One touch and you can only tell the truth for a few hours".

Valerie dropped the flowers and tried wiping her hands on her jeans.

The Doctor walked over to her and picked up one the flowers.

A pretty blue one and brought it up to his nose. It smelled like pears.

"There's a legend that says the flower's scent changes based on who the person is in love with".

"Fish fingers and custard".

The Doctor smiled. "Pears".

"What?"

The Doctor stuck the flower in her hair and stroked her cheek with his thumb. "I love you too".

Valerie threw her arms around his neck and kissed him.

"Stay with me. Me and Elise", the Doctor told her, "You said it yourself that all little girls need a mother".

Valerie smiled. She couldn't imagine anything better.