New Favorite Food

A/N - The ending of this takes place much later in the series (around series 7). I wanted to write more of this, but I don't want to give anything away. I might edit this once I write series 7.

As a Timelord, the Doctor often forgot that humans needed things like food and sleep. And Elise, because she was so young, needed food and sleep about as often as humans.

Today was a lazy day in the TARDIS. They all needed a break from running and nearly dying on every adventure.

It was nearing dinner time and Amy was hungry. She'd only eaten breakfast because she woke up so late. On her way to the kitchen, she stopped off at Elise's room.

The little Timelord was laying in her bed coloring.

Amy wasn't sure where the coloring books and crayons had come from, but she could guess that the little blue box had produced them for her. "Hey you".

Elise looked up from her drawing and smiled.

"Are you hungry?" Amy asked her.

Elise nodded and put down her crayon. She hopped off the bed and followed Amy into the kitchen.

"Okay, what are you feeling like today?" Amy asked, "Fruit? Breakfast?"

Elise just shrugged.

"Ah, I know something you might like". She opened a cabinet and found what she was looking for. Amy shook the box and then showed Elise. "Macaroni and cheese. My mum used to make this for me all the time when I was a child. You'll love it". Amy searched a cabinet for a pot to make it in and filled it with water.

"There you two are", the Doctor said entering the kitchen, "What are we making?"

"Macaroni and cheese", Amy told him, putting salt in the water and setting it aside to boil.

"Good choice". He walked over to the fridge and set to work making fish fingers and custard as Amy worked on making the macaroni and cheese.

Elise smiled seeing the two of them. Without Rory, as much as Elise missed him, it was almost like they were one little happy family. Sometimes she dreamt Amy was her mother, as foolish as it was.

When the noodles were done, Amy poured in some milk, butter, and then cheese powder.

Elise thought the cheese powder was weird, but the macaroni and cheese looked good.

Amy made two bowls and set one in front of Elise.

Her father sat down at the table with his fish fingers and custard.

The two adults watched with bated breath as the little Timelord took a bite of the macaroni and cheese.

Elise swallowed the mouthful and continued to eat it.

"It's good, isn't it?" Amy asked her.

Elise nodded, her cheeks full.

Years later, Clara entered the kitchen and found Elise. "What are you making?"

"Macaroni and cheese", Elise told her, "It's my favorite food and I was feeling kinda sad today".

"Oh? What about?"

"An old friend of my father's". Elise missed Amy more than she cared to admit.

Clara wondered which one. The Doctor and Elise didn't talk about their past companions very often.

"When I was little, she made it for me whenever we had a lazy day on the TARDIS. Kinda like today", Elise said.

"How old were you?" Clara asked.

"5 or 6 I think. I forget. I'm well over 300 now. I used to imagine we were a family".

"What happened to her?"

"She left. She left, got married, and grew old with her husband". That was how Elise chose to remember Amy. She didn't want to remember the ordeal that had forever tainted Manhattan for her.

"There you two are", the Doctor said entering the kitchen like he had all those years ago. He saw the pot and the box on the counter and froze.

Elise could see the memory cross his mind for a moment before he sat down at the kitchen table. "Want me to make you some fish fingers and custard?" Elise asked her father.

He shook his head.

"Doctor, what's wrong?" Clara asked.

"Nothing", he said smiling, "I just had the greatest idea for an adventure!"

Clara smiled and sat down next to him.

Elise tuned them out as she focused on making her food. Amy had lived a full life with Rory, but she would give anything to see her again. But Amy lived on in her dreams and her memories of the many nights spent making macaroni and cheese.