THREE

After being strangely set free by his tour guide, Ricky stood blankly in the middle of what would be his bedroom for the next eight months

After being strangely set free by his tour guide, Ricky stood blankly in the middle of what would be his bedroom for the next eight months. Contrary to the cold, frightening door, the room itself was quite homey. The floor was made of chocolate-stained wood while the walls were painted a complementary tan. A twin bed was pushed against the window wall, a relatively squishy mattress atop. A small closet that held some drawers was to his left while a matching wooden desk and chair was a few feet from it.

Scattered throughout the room was all of Ricky's belongings that he had shipped out to Vermont ahead of time. The bags that held his clothes and shoes were plopped on the bed while other storage containers he had bought were all over the floor. The boy was unsure of what the rest of the day held for him, so he peeked at the day's schedule in the packet Dr. Mazzara gave him. There was a transfer student orientation at three that afternoon, so he had a few hours to kill. Ricky sighed in preparation before approaching his duffel bags to dive into room organization.

          By time two-thirty rolled around, Ricky knew that if he didn't stop unpacking now and start the hunt for the gymnasium that he would never make it to the orientation on time. That was one thing about Ricky Bowen – he was never late. So, he looped his Leopard Leash around his neck, grabbed the campus map from his welcome packet, made sure his cell door was sealed, and headed outside. He wasn't hating the campus environment so far. Aside from the cult-like vibes he received from any human interaction he had, the energy of students chatting on the grass to those searching for their residence halls was quite captivating.

          The gymnasium was only a few minute walk from Stoneham. It was the most modern building on campus, being tinted a steel gray with red detailing for the school's colors. LEOPARDS LAIR was painted in block letters on the awning that draped over the entrance; the boy wasn't surprised anymore by the quirky phrases the school utilized. When you first stepped inside, there was a spirit store to the left and an unoccupied concession stand to the right. If you continued straight, you descended down some steps before reaching another hallway and the entrance to the basketball courts. Ricky hesitated at the doorframe, but after he saw a podium with some students and staff surrounding it, he stepped inside meekly.

          The red bleachers with letters E, H, and A written on the three sections were pulled out, a handful of students already occupying the middle part. Ricky took a seat on the first middle bleacher, unwilling to socialize with any of the already isolated students above him. He thought he would get away with flying solo for the orientation, he truly did. That was until he felt a flustered presence approach him.

          "Oh, shit, did I miss it?"

          Ricky peered upwards to see a relatively short redhead slowing from a sprint next to him. He was panting slightly, causing Ricky's lips to part in thought. The ginger's cheeks were almost as fiery as his hair, and he wore a baby pink t-shirt, khakis, and galaxy low-top Vans. His face was dusted with light freckles, and he was flashing a nervous yet light-hearted grin. Ricky blinked hard twice before responding. "No, uh, no," he stuttered with a head shake. "It should be starting soon."