SIXTY-ONE

Midterm week, also known as hell week, began Monday morning at East Highland Academy. Every student had their own exams or projects to worry about, which is why campus had a different buzz to it. Not only were exams upon them, the annual winter gala was that weekend, offering students the chance to let loose following their stressful week. It was an ironic situation, though, since the gala was easily the most nerve-wracking event of the school year, surpassing prom by a long shot. Funded and planned fully by the Greene family, the gala consisted of a fancy dinner, speeches from school sponsors, and classical music from the school band to conclude. Every faculty member made an appearance at the event, including the president and deans. The professionalism that the gala radiated was what acted as a stressor for students in attendance, but it was another event notorious for drinking during and after the fact.

          Nini had too much on her mind – midterms, her impending Harvard decision, Charlie's mysterious return, the gala. They all shared one thing in common, though – she had to confide in Ricky about all of them at some point. So, as she left her first exam Monday and proceeded to wait for Ricky outside of Creston Hall, she pondered over what she would blurt out first. However, when she saw the boy exit through the giant sculpted doors, Nini's jaw clenched.

          Fleeing the building as well were all the other students that had a math or science exam that day. Nini couldn't help but notice the people that were suddenly eyeing Ricky as he walked towards her. Nini always knew that Ricky was attractive–there was no denying that–but there was something about how he was dressed in the winter Academy uniform that almost made him look sexily regal. Everyone seemed to agree, for girls that walked beside him were eyeing the boy seductively while guys proceeded to whisper to one another and point subtle fingers at Ricky. It made Nini's blood boil; jealousy didn't look good on her.

          "Good morning, Nini," Ricky greeted the girl with a warm smile, running a hand through his coiffed curls before slipping it into her own hand.

          Nini's focus was still locked on the students scattering around, most of them now beginning to stop and stare at the two of them. She expected this, considering the speculation already had begun online. Still, there was something so weird about people shooting them curious glances. Nini looked back at Ricky, giving his hand a squeeze. "Let's walk, shall we?"

          Ricky followed Nini as she directed him towards the nearest, most barren sidewalk. "How did your history exam go?" he asked the girl as they glided down the snow-ridden path.

          Nini swallowed the envious lump in her throat. "It–It was good," she smiled up at him, Ricky returning the happy grin. "I think I did well. You?"

          "Same here."

          As they continued walking, some other straggling students eyed the pair, obvious enough to make Ricky finally question it. "Uh, have you seen people staring?" he lowered his voice. "At us?"

          Nini nodded, subconsciously grabbing onto his hand tighter. "Yeah, yeah they are," she said through gritted teeth. "It's annoying."

          Ricky shrugged. "It's not annoying. More so strange," he adjusted her terminology. "I would stare at me. After all, I'm a random transfer that is suddenly dating the most relevant girl in school. That's something you would stare over, I think."

          "I knew that would happen," Nini explained, that piece of the situation not being what bothered her the most. Although it did frustrate her that no one cared to see Ricky shine until he was associated with her, there was a more pressing issue at hand. "There's just a lot of....girls."