SEVENTY

          Ricky had never been to prom before

Ricky had never been to prom before. It wasn't because he didn't have the opportunity. He just never felt like it was his thing. But, when he heard the news that East Highland Academy senior prom was right around the corner, a newfound fire ignited in the boy. For some reason, Ricky wanted to go to prom more than ever before. Well, it wasn't an unknown reason. He knew for certain it had to do with the beautiful girl that would be on his arm that night.

         With the year Nini had, Ricky wanted to ensure that prom would be absolutely magical for her. So, he resorted to what he knew best – music. After telling his girlfriend to meet him in the very place she first fell in love with him, Ricky felt the butterflies overtake him. He sat on a little stool at center stage, tapping his foot to contain his nerves. When 2:15 rolled around, he thought he had some breathing room to calm down due to his assumption that Nini would run a bit late. However, on the dot, the auditorium doors opened loudly, revealing the shadow of a small girl in the doorway.

         "Hey, cutie!" Nini called, skipping down one of the aisles. As she traveled up the side stairs to meet Ricky on the stage, she wore the brightest smile, making Ricky all the more nervous.

        Nini stretched her arms out to the boy, wrapping him in a side armed hug and planting a kiss on his cheek. "What's all this?" she asked curiously when she pulled away.

        Ricky gestured to the spot in front of him. "Have a seat," he instructed, Nini's brow slanting. "I want to play you something."

        Nini's lips twisted. "Oh, really?" she hummed, slowly taking a seat on the ground before him. She pulled her legs to her chest, resting her chin on her knees. "I'm excited. Let's hear it."

         The boy strummed his guitar once, giving Nini a wide grin. "Okay, listen carefully. It's a bit cheesy, but you'll want to hear it," he remarked, Nini nodding with a thumbs up. After she was settled, the boy began.

          "Hey, Nini, I like your face," he began singing, Nini letting out a snort of laughter immediately. It caused Ricky to stumble due to his own oncoming laughter, but he mustered through. "Your big brown eyes, and your warm embrace. And I have a question for you today.

          "I hope you'll think it through and you will not decline, and on April 23rd maybe you'll be mine, if you say you'll go with me to prom that night. Hey, Nini, I'd like to know, if you would wanna go-o-o-o-o-o to prom with me. Hey, Nini, I'd like to know, if you would like to go-o-o-o-o-o to prom with me."

         When Ricky strummed the guitar a few more times to conclude his song, Nini couldn't help but blush. "Well?" Ricky sighed, putting his guitar down carefully in its case. "What do you say?"

          Nini stood up with an exasperated head shake, Ricky doing the same. She snaked her arms around his waist, looking up at him with puppy dog eyes as he secured his arms around her. "How could I say no to that Grammy award-winning ballad?" she teased, nose scrunching as Ricky shook curls out of his face.

         "Slandering the tune that took me a whole twenty minutes to write. Wow," Ricky scoffed, Nini laughing as he played along with the joke.

         The girl rose to the tips of her toes, pressing a sweet kiss to Ricky's lip. When the two separated, they couldn't contain their happiness. "I want nothing more than to be your date to the prom, Ricky Bowen," Nini formally accepted, squeezing him tighter.

         Ricky smiled, beginning to look around chaotically. "I wonder where I can get a different suit around here," his eyes landed back on Nini. "Can I just steal something from the costume department?"

        Nini smirked, rolling her eyes. "We'll find you something. If not, a baseball tee works."

         Ricky's face lit up. "Wait, seriously?!"

         "God, you are so gullible."