THIRTY-THREE

"Thank you all for yet another fantastic Socratic seminar this morning, and have a great rest of your Friday!"

Following the conclusion of AP Literature, Ricky was on the move. He had an AP Calculus quiz next period, and if he didn't get to class early enough with ample amount of time to review his notes, he would slip into cardiac arrest. The boy threw his backpack over his shoulder and shuffled out of the classroom, trying to grab his math textbook from the book bag while simultaneously navigating the corridors of Davidson Hall. Once he secured the book in his hands, Ricky flicked to chapter three and began moving his index finger down the page in an attempt to memorize every last formula. Just as he bursted through the front doors of the building, he heard his name cheerfully being called. "Hey, Ricky, wait up!"

The boy stopped abruptly, turning around to find Nini skipping after him. Her middle-parted locks blew in the light autumn wind, a happy-go-lucky smile on her lips after she said his name. "I wanted to catch you before you left class, but you're faster than I thought," the girl explained as she finally landed in front of Ricky. She eyed the textbook in his hands then locked gaze with him. "Some leisurely reading?"

"N–no," Ricky stammered, body swaying as he tried to stop his feet from taking over and sprinting him towards his math class. "I was just reviewing for a quiz I have to get to. Which reminds me, I should get going."

"Wait," Nini stopped him, snatching his wrist before he could fully spin around. The boy felt a rush of déjà vu, the moment paralleling the first time she ever truly spoke to him outside of their English classroom weeks ago. "We can walk and talk."

Ricky couldn't object, for the cheerleader was already now lapping him. He scurried to catch up to her and hear whatever it was she was about to share with him. "I've been thinking a lot about what you said last week, about you not knowing anything about Academy. So, I've decided that I'm going to give you an officially unofficial tour of the school. I'll show you everything important and give you all the juicy, unspoken details you need to know in order to survive here."

Ricky was floored that Nini was willing to do this for him. The thoughtful gesture definitely didn't help his budding crush on the pretty girl. She kept talking as he walked and processed. "I don't have practice after school today because we're lifting at night, so if you're down, I could meet you at Main after last period and show you around?"

Everything sounded good about Nini's offer, except the lingo she used. "Main?" he repeated with a raised brow.

Nini laughed airily, cupping his shoulder. "And this is exactly why you need my tour," she bragged, removing her hand before Ricky could combust. "Main is the Administrative building."

         Ricky nodded as they slowed up in front of the Math and Science Department building, Creston Hall. "Yes, um, that sounds cool," he agreed, facing her once more before they departed.

          "Awesome!" she clapped her hands, some of her messy hair getting caught in the crossfire. "I will see you then."

          Ricky's smile was shaky as she gave him a bright one before walking off in the direction of the History building. He closed his textbook and tucked it under his arm as he left whatever remained of her presence and headed inside.

          He had no idea how he would be able to focus on his quiz now.

___

          Right after school, Ricky waited for Nini outside of Main with his nails dug into his backpack straps. Within a few minutes, he spotted the eager girl strutting his way. "Are we ready?" she asked as she waved her arm in the direction of their path.