TWELVE

"No, the clap is before the high kick you guys

"No, the clap is before the high kick you guys. Looks cleaner that way."

Nini arrived early to her first cheerleading practice of the year. As captain for the third year in a row, she always went above and beyond when it came to the activity she loved. On Wednesday afternoon, she scurried down the hill that led to East Highland's extravagant and expensive turf. Luckily, her team got to practice outside while the weather was still warm, and they split the turf with girls soccer before boys soccer took over. Nini met her coaches at the bleachers, greeting them with a big grin and a cheerful tone. As she caught up with them regarding her summer and their plans for the season, the rest of the team began to sporadically arrive at the turf. Nini took it upon herself to lead the team in stretches, and once they were all warmed up, it was time to begin blocking their first halftime routine.

Nini was granted the opportunity to choreograph one of the halftime routines this year, and ideas had been running through her brain all summer. That's why when she saw some of the girls already messing up the simplest beginning steps, she had to contain her frustration. After kindly reminding them that the high kick occurs after the unison clap, she told them to run the routine again. When it wasn't up to Nini's standard, she simply granted everyone a water break before heading to the far water fountain herself.

The girl held her tied up hair back as she turned on the water fountain, allowing the refreshing liquid to pour into her mouth. Just before she finished drinking, she heard someone call her name. Looking down on her from the first bleacher were Kourtney, Ashlyn, Carlos Rodriguez, and Seb Matthew-Smith. Carlos was chuckling, clearly being the one to have yelled to get her attention.

          Nini wiped remnants of water droplets from her lips, straightening up to face her friends. "What's up?" she greeted, glancing back at the team to ensure that everyone was still preoccupied.

          "I can tell you're gonna boil over," Ashlyn nodded sneakily, pointing to the turf where Nini previously taught the routine. "Not your fault that these people can't memorize an easy ass dance."

          "It'll come with time," Nini crossed her arms, convincing herself that Ashlyn's statement was untrue. "It's only the first practice."

         "You're killing it, though," Kourtney chimed in with a smile.

          Seb leaned against the fence that separated the elevated bleachers from the turf. "Yeah, truly," he agreed. "You're the greatest captain."

          Nini dismissively waved. "Oh, please. Don't flatter me."

          "By the way," Carlos remarked abruptly, changing the conversation. He leaned over the fence as well, voice lowering. "You in for a party this Friday? My parents just left the summer home, so we can use it."

          Nini shushed the boy, pressing her pointer finger to her lips. "I–I can't think about that right now," she shook her head lightly. "I can't get caught going off campus during season."

          "She's in, don't worry," Ashlyn cupped Carlos' shoulder, shooting Nini a wink that the brunette only responded to with a distasteful eye roll.

          "I gotta go," Nini jerked her thumb over her shoulder towards the team. "I'll talk to you guys later."

          "Cheer away, baby!" Kourtney threw up spirit fingers as Nini began a light jog back to her group.

          The cheerleader didn't know who she was trying to kid. She had been sneaking off campus ever since she was a freshman, regardless of her cheer season. Maybe she just wanted to believe that there was still a piece of her that could say no to the party scene; it didn't matter, though. Like Ashlyn assumed, everyone knew Nini was a party girl. She didn't have to give anyone an answer for them to know that she'd be off her face that Friday night.