FIFTY-THREE

Kourtney Greene had a very valid fear of being betrayed. Ever since she came to terms with her sexuality, the thought of her parents abandoning her for who she loved haunted her everyday. It was the comfort and support from Ashlyn Moon that helped her to repress that paranoia. However, ironically, here Kourtney was, curled up in her bed on a Sunday afternoon reflecting on how that strawberry blond stoner was the same girl to instill the phobia again.

          Ashlyn had been texting Kourtney nonstop over the break, but the dark-haired artist continuously left her on read. Maybe it wasn't her place to judge Ashlyn for cheating on the SAT, but the problem was rooted in something deeper – secrecy. The more she thought about that, the more she wondered if Nini Salazar-Roberts' friendsgiving argument was justified.

          Kourtney had her blanket pulled over her head as she binge watched Gossip Girl for the fourth time, snacking on stale, burnt popcorn she made in the dorm lounge yesterday. She was just about to skip the end credits to a new episode when the remnants of a knock filtered through the sounds in her AirPods. Kourtney didn't have to think about who could possibly be here to see her; she was solely pondering how she could play it off like she wasn't there. But, Ashlyn's muffled voice from the other side of the sturdy door muttered apologetic pleas, annoying Kourtney enough that she got up to answer the door just to shoo Ashlyn away.

          When Kourtney yanked open the door, Ashlyn's face was drained of color, lips parted in a subtle pout that conveyed her sorrow perfectly. "Kourt," she sighed with relief. "Can we talk?"

          "I don't know why you'd think I'd want to talk," Kourtney leaned against her doorframe defiantly, eyeing the unwarranted guest up and down. "You would think you'd get the hint from my inactivity over text."

          "But you have to hear me out, please," Ashlyn folded her hands as she begged, embarrassed by her submissive attitude. She was normally a strong, confident, take-no-shit type of girl, so the way her eyes have been permanently softened and shoulders chronically slouched since friendsgiving was shameful in her point of view. "Even if you don't forgive me for lying, at least let me tell you why I did it."

          As much as Kourtney wanted to hold a grudge, her curiosity was almost more overbearing. For that reason, she stepped to the side hesitantly, Ashlyn taking that as her cue to enter. When Kourtney closed the door behind them, Ashlyn took an audible deep breath as she faced the girl.

          "I didn't want to do it, of course," Ashlyn firstly clarified, Kourtney's brow furrowing in preparation for the explanation, "but I had no choice. I really didn't, Kourt.

          "I'm a horrible standardized test taker, you know that, but my parents swore that if I didn't get over a 1400 on the SAT that they wouldn't pay for my college. Things are just toxic and tense at home, and college is my only opportunity to get away and be myself. I wouldn't be able to go without their help. Sure, loans, but that would only solve some of the financial problem.

          "I would have no money to get to school on my own, especially considering how badly I want to go to NYU. I have to get out of that house, as far away as possible, and I know New York would be the place for me. I can be unapologetically myself, even more than how I am here. All I need is some good schooling and a nice living environment. I can get a job after, I know it, but I need that first step. If I didn't get someone to take the test for me, I would've gotten a horrible score, and I'd be left out to dry. I couldn't do that, Kourt, and I know you wouldn't want to either."

          The one thing Kourtney knew she really resonated with Ashlyn over was their familial problems, so the fact that the SAT debacle was rooted in parental disapproval hit way too close to home for the girl. It didn't help that Ashlyn was teary eyed as she justified her actions, Kourtney's least favorite view on Earth being a crying Ashlyn.