FIFTY-FOUR

Nini felt it was perfectly fitting for it to be the coldest night of the winter as she made her way to Kingston Hall. She was wrapped in her World Stars parka, clutching onto her phone for dear life in its right pocket. She did it because she was nervous for what awaited her, of course, but she knew it was secretly some metaphorical way for her to hold on tighter to the reassuring words Ricky had sent her over text minutes before she left her dorm room.

          The girl made the familiar climb through EJ Caswell's first floor window that he had left unlocked for everyone, soon sneaking out his bedroom door and to the stairwell. As she climbed the metal stairs, she remembered the last time she was on Kingston's roof – the first night that she could recall of her life going to shit. Thankfully, though, that was when she first truly connected with Ricky. She tried to cling to that positive as she pushed open the rooftop door and was hit with the nighttime wind again.

          Over by the bell were some of her friends–she didn't have the willpower to deem them anything worse than friends just yet–tangled in winter garments and thick, knit blankets. As she walked closer, she was able to identify everyone present – Ashlyn, Kourtney, EJ, Gina, and Carlos. Of course, she groaned in her mind as she processed the missing party. Fucking bitch.

          "Hey, Nini," Kourtney greeted the brunette with a tiny smile as she settled into the group's vicinity.

          Nini freed her hand from her pocket, snaking her arms tightly around her body to tuck her hands beneath her armpits. She couldn't help but notice Kourtney's own hand intertwined with Ashlyn's atop their shared blanket, making the girl wonder just what was awaiting her tonight.

          "I think we should get started," EJ awkwardly offered, gesturing for Nini to take the open seat on the ground beside her.

          "Yeah, let's," Kourtney took the lead as Nini found her spot on the floor. "Neen, we were saying before that we wanted to take this time to be totally candid about everything. See if that will help us."

          Nini wasn't terribly confident about the possibility of the elite being mended. There had been so much lying and scheming that she didn't know if there was any friendship left to salvage. But, if there was, she knew that came with honesty. It was worth a try; Ricky told her that earlier.

          "Of course Charlie dipped," Gina grumbled, rolling her eyes before they landed on a frozen Nini. "Sorry, girl. I know I'm being rude."

          "It's fine," Nini pulled her knees to her chest, swallowing with acceptance. "I guess that means I should go first, huh?" When no one objected, Nini elaborated. "Charlie and I broke up a while ago. That's why we were so petty at friendsgiving. It was overwhelming, so I didn't tell you guys. He gave me shit for my friendship with Ricky, equating it to what happened with Jacob. But, what I've recently learned is that Charlie's more of a liar than I imagined."

          EJ squirmed in his place. "I....I guess I can add to that, since I sort of know what you're talking about," he murmured. "Charlie actually reached out to me yesterday saying that Administration was onto him about dealing steroids, and I can confirm it's true because he was dealing to me. That whole thing with Jacob is ancient history, but Charlie and I got the kid expelled. He was dealing with Charlie, but Charlie wanted revenge for what happened with Jacob and Nini."

          "Jacob told me all about it," Nini added, grabbing the attention of the group. "I met with him last week. He was the one that busted EJ and now Charlie." The girl sent a sympathetic smile to EJ, who's head was now hanging as he processed the news he had received. Although using steroids was wrong, Nini did feel bad for him that he was collateral damage in Jacob's masochistic plan to ruin Charlie's life. "I'm sorry, EJ."