SIXTY-FOUR

In order to prepare herself for the giant leap she was about to take that evening, Kourtney quietly nursed a flask of Svedka throughout the gala to drown her nerves. When the night was winding down following the end of the final guest speaker's speech, Kourtney took one last secret swig before tapping Ashlyn on the shoulder. "You ready?" she asked the strawberry blond who was chewing Big Red's–they got placed at the same table–ear off.

          Ashlyn turned her head, nose scrunching after smelling the vodka on Kourtney's breath. "You reek," Ashlyn whispered, a smirk then forming on her lips. "Reckless. I love it. Let's go."

Kourtney beamed as she snatched Ashlyn's wrist and pulled her upwards. The two intertwined their hands as they weaved through the sea of tables. They spotted Nini from afar excusing herself from her table and making her way to the nearest hallway, as well as Carlos and Seb chatting away at another table. Aside from those pleasant sightings, Kourtney couldn't help but notice other students eyeing her and Ashlyn, specifically their interlocked hands. Kourtney tried to ignore it, for the real enemy was up ahead.

Mr. and Mrs. Greene sat at the largest table in the front of the room, accompanied by President Jackson, Dr. Jennifer, Dr. Mazzara, and a few of the prestigious guest speakers. When Kourtney approached them, her hand that held Ashlyn's was tucked behind her back. Her father looked up from his conversation to see Kourtney, a smile gracing his lips at the sight of his daughter. "There she is!"

          The announcement of Kourtney's presence caused Mrs. Greene to glance up as well, reciprocating the grin her husband wore. "Hi, honey," she greeted kindly.

          Kourtney pursed her lips, quickly letting go of Ashlyn's hand so she could point to the closest hallway. "Can I talk to you?" she asked her parents, chest tight.

          Mr. and Mrs. Greene exchanged glances before rising, following Kourtney and Ashlyn into the corridor. "What is this about, Kourtney?" Mrs. Greene questioned as Ashlyn and her daughter settled before them. She shot Ashlyn a quick smile. "Hello, Ashlyn."

Before Ashlyn could politely respond, Kourtney grabbed the girl's hand once again, raising it in the air for both of her parents to get a good look at. "Mom, Dad," Kourtney began proudly. "I don't want to hide who I am from you anymore."

Kourtney saw as her father's posture suddenly stiffened, dark irises swelling. It made Kourtney's own eyes begin to blur, but it was a combination of both oncoming tears and the side effects of the alcohol. "Ash and I are dating, and I like girls. Romantically. And if you can't accept me for who I am and who I love, then we can distance ourselves. For good."

There was silence for quite a while, neither Mr. or Mrs. Greene making any sudden moves. Ashlyn, still standing timidly, decided to straighten her shoulders and take the reigns. "Mr. and Mrs. Greene, I really do love your daughter," she began, the L-word causing Kourtney to whip her head towards the stoner, "and I always have. Of course I value your opinions and permission, but frankly, I think you're wrong in this age-old belief of yours. It's just love."

Mr. Greene then huffed, jaw clenching in an unpromising manner. "It's just love," he repeated mockingly, Mrs. Greene latching onto his bicep. "Love that I cannot and will not agree with."

Kourtney's face fell as her father shook his head, her mother offering her the most infinitesimal sign of a sympathetic smile. As Mr. Greene stomped off and back towards the main room, Mrs. Greene hung her head. "Why now, Kourtney?" she whispered. "You know this is our big event."

Kourtney's lips quivered, her hand that held Ashlyn's up high now falling limp by her side. "I told you," she winced as her mother began a slow walk to find Mr. Greene.