SIXTY-SIX

You're such a dumbass, Ricky. How could you not saying anything to her? What happened to not letting anxiety control you? God, how could you be so stupid?

          Ricky's conscience would not stop pestering him as he stumbled through the dimly lit East Highland campus in hopes of finding Nini. Once he finally gained control of his mind, he began to kick himself as he replayed the moment in his head. All he had to do was say something to get her to stay just a little longer. Words were his thing–as long as they were perfectly structured–yet he still couldn't save the situation. The voice in his head wasn't letting him forget it.

          He had covered most of the campus, everything from the green to the academic buildings. The cold really began to hit the boy towards the end of his search, Ricky feeling his hands go numb and cheeks losing their color as they froze over. He was about to turn around and head back to the gala, theorizing that maybe Nini returned there to sort things out with him, but before he committed, he spotted two shadowy figures in the distance. Ricky was near a lamppost, illuminating him just enough for the strangers to see him. They clearly recognized him, calling out his name once they were in earshot. "Hey, Ricky!"

          Ricky squinted, stepping further slowly until he could identify the figures. "Why are we just running into everyone tonight?" Gina Porter tied her arms around EJ Caswell's bicep as they sped up their walk. "What are you doing here?"

          Ricky was relieved to see familiar faces. "I'm looking for Nini," he answered, EJ and Gina's happy faces contorting into confusion.

          "Nini?" EJ repeated. "We just saw her. She left for town with some guys on the basketball team."

          Ricky's heartbeat quickened. "She what? Basketball team?"

          "Yeah, she seemed a little off," Gina elaborated. "I mean, or she just wanted to get drunk. It's been a while since she has. I respect it."

          "Oh, no," Ricky mumbled under his breath, foot beginning to anxiously tap against the sidewalk.

          EJ's brow furrowed. "Is everything okay, dude?"

          Ricky swallowed his hesitance to speak, forcing himself to seek assistance. "She....she got upset with me at the gala," Ricky started shamefully. "It was a misunderstanding, I think, but I froze up before I could explain anything. She then got a phone call and ran off. I–I've been looking for her ever since."

          "Misunderstanding?" Gina asked. "Okay, then there should be no need to worry, right? Have you tried calling her?"

          Ricky felt stupid after hearing Gina's suggestion, realizing he was so frazzled that he forgot to resort to the easiest remedy – calling the girl. "N–no," he stammered, reaching for his phone in his pant pocket. "I'll try now."

          Right before Ricky could even open his phone, a ringtone unbeknownst to him suddenly pierced the comfortable silence. Both Ricky and EJ glanced at Gina, the dancer scrambling to retrieve her phone from her purse. Once she did, her eyes widened at the caller, the girl then putting the phone to her ear. "Hello?"

          There were muffled rambles coming from the phone that Ricky couldn't quite make out, but Gina's responses were enough to puzzle him. "Woah, Kourt, slow down. What?"

          Gina's arm soon fell from EJ's. "Oh my God. Wh–wha....how? We're sort of by Kingston right now....EJ and Ricky....Fuck, okay, um....Calm down, please, oh, God....I–I'll wait for you....Okay."

          When Gina removed her phone from her ear, her face seemed to completely empty. Water appeared to pool in her eyes, causing Ricky's pulse to intensify. "What is it, Gi?" EJ wrapped an arm around Gina's waist.